Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

@FranzWerfel

check the mounting end of your cable - see if the mounting once unscrewed will come even further unscrewed to reveal a smaller part that can be fed thru the grill at the back. Most cables dont have this but if it does, that might help with the mounting.

BT can be difficult but you have a card that should work -
Important : make sure you have all 3 antennae connected and then
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/broadcom-wifi-bluetooth-guide.242423/
But even without the third antenna (if it worked, I would wire an internal antenna just under the plastic faceplate so that antenna faces front), I should/could see BT hardware. That's what is missing. I don't think it will work on the 9020. The old 780 would not recognize a WiFi BT card. Unfortunately, my Windows HDD is corrupted, so I will have to think of some other way to get a second opinion.

I may have missed it, but have you tried Windows with the half mini .pcie ? That would determine if the mb supports it. I did run into this situation on an HP 8300 USDT. HP didn't implement the full spec of PCIE on the mini connector... they left off the data lines of USB, which is obviously needed for BT to work. Honestly I would be surprised if Dell took a step back and removed BT from the 9020 USFF.
I booted from Linux Mint 19 and the BT was present and actually worked with just two antennas being used for the present. (I will attach an internal one, with a gold foil array, to the plastic face plate that I can peel off with an adhesive backing.)

@BillyGoatGruff - Did you have to do much to get BT working?
I think the problem is Catalina and the BT injection not working. But I can now say that BT on a 9020 works with Mint 19 and pretty well. (There is also a third-party driver I could install, too.)

@BillyGoatGruff - Did you have to do much to get BT working?
I'll boot and take a look at the configuration this weekend and share what I did. I am not at Catalina yet on my USFF... I'm liking Mojave just fine. But maybe what I did to configure will be helpful in any case.

I can report mostly success, Optiplex 9020 MT, with a 580 Saphire Nitro+ 8GB and I replaced the CPU with an Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3. I skipped the Multibeast installation and kept all my kext in /Other. Replaced FakeSMC with VirtualSMC, IntelmausiEthernet with Intelmausi. Then upgraded to Catalina, no problem.
iMessage is working. Sleep not reliably (black screen on wake).
I have the Fenvi FV-A436CD for WIFI/BT. Doesn't seem to be as well recognised under Catalina like it was with Mojave.
For WIFI I have
CoreWLAN: 13.0 ((null))

CoreWLANKit: 13.0 ((null))

Menu Extra: 13.0 ((null))

System Information: 12.0 (1500)

IO80211 Family: 12.0 (1200.12.2)

Diagnostics: 1.0 (910)

AirPort Utility: Not Installed
under system information. Replaced the WIFI kexts with the ones from Mojave, still the same.

Handoff, unlock with Apple Watch and Airdrop work sporadically, AirPods and BT Keyboard work well. WIFI works. When I access Internet, Settings likes to not respond and take a minute to show my interfaces, likewise with System Information. Somtimes this even freezes the whole system.

EDIT 08.06.20
I am now up to 10.15.5 Supplemental Update and everything is working fine. No more BT/WIFI issues and sleep works. Not sure why. Ive updated all my kexts, updated macOS and physically reinstalled my Fenvi Card.

Last edited:
I'll boot and take a look at the configuration this weekend and share what I did. I am not at Catalina yet on my USFF... I'm liking Mojave just fine. But maybe what I did to configure will be helpful in any case.
Cool. Looking forward to that. There were some good results here using BrcmPatchRam3. I have tried these in Other and L/E. But no luck yet and not seeing much on the Web that sounds hopeful.

Cool. Looking forward to that. There were some good results here using BrcmPatchRam3. I have tried these in Other and L/E. But no luck yet and not seeing much on the Web that sounds hopeful.
I tried the BrcmPatchRam3 and the other kexts in both L/E and EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other today. The BT is still not present.

I tried the BrcmPatchRam3 and the other kexts in both L/E and EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other today. The BT is still not present.
Has anyone made a custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext for a 9020 USFF?

Has anyone made a custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext for a 9020 USFF?
I never made one because I've only got the SFF and MT versions. What you can do is use the .dsl attached to post #1 and then use Hackintool to do the port discovery. Modify the .dsl as needed and then compile it. See the guide from utterdisbelief for all the details. It's easier than it appears. All you've got to account for is two USB 2.0 (13) and four USB 3.0. Two in back (12) and two in front.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
Back