Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

1. It's been that way since Mojave. Will post a solution if/when we find one.
2. Should work in x4 slot as well, give that a go.

1. Good to know
2. Fine, i have already ordered one. I will post how it works upon arrival.
If I like to install a nvme ssd as well how can I achieve this since I will use the x4 for the Fenvi card?

I have read that you also changed the case. Is it worth the look for a old G5 case?

Last edited:
I have read that you also changed the case. Is it worth the look for a old G5 case?

I think so, take a look at my thread 'Budget G5 'No rear Cut' in my sig below. I'm pretty certain the SSF 9020 board is the same size as the SFF 7010.

I think so, take a look at my thread 'Budget G5 'No rear Cut' in my sig below. I'm pretty certain the SSF 9020 board is the same size as the SFF 7010.
Yes, it fits the standard mATX standoffs in most any case. I found mine to actually fit perfectly in a non-oem case. Much better than even some Gigabyte boards I've used.

If I like to install a nvme ssd as well how can I achieve this since I will use the x4 for the Fenvi card?
In that scenario I would put the NVMe in the x4 slot and use a riser card from the x1 slot for the Fenvi. It's been done before in an SFF case with some modding. Should be easier in the MT case or in a G5. Maybe @craighazan knows where that post was with case mod for a Fenvi card ?

Do you mean this post by @BillyGoatGruff.
No, it was where someone drilled holes in the back of the metal case to connect the Fenvi FV-T919 adapter. They used a x1 riser card to connect it. Their gfx card covered the x1 slot. Maybe @BillyGoatGruff knows where it is ? It's possible that it was only the 3 antenna Fenvi card too. It was a while ago.

No, it was where someone drilled holes in the back of the metal case to connect the Fenvi FV-T919 adapter. They used a x1 riser card to connect it. Their gfx card covered the x1 slot. Maybe @BillyGoatGruff knows where it is ? It's possible that it was only the 3 antenna Fenvi card too. It was a while ago.
Do you mean this one?, BillyGoatGruff made a guide for doing just that, post here.

Posting here a question of experience with the Dell 7020/9020 and 4 x 4GB memory. I recently purchased a matching set of 4 x 4GB 1600 DDR3 for the 7020 I have. I dropped it all in and then ran Memtest86 on it, and got multiples of errors! Bummer. So I retested with 1 stick at a time in memory slot 1 each time - all good!. Then I put two sticks in, slots 1-2, good. 3 sticks in, slots 1-2-3, good. 4 sticks - errors!.
So then I pulled out the last stick from slot 4, and replaced it with another 4GB 1600 module I have. Errors! but not nearly as many but still.. :(.
Am I facing a bad memory slot on the motherboard? I really would like 16GB in this machine (maybe 32 some day). Should I order 2 x 8GB and test? Anyone else run into this type of error on either a 7020 or 9020?

Am I facing a bad memory slot on the motherboard?
Try putting just one of the DIMMS that works in another slot into the 4th one and see if it still throws errors. If so, then you have to RMA it to be able to go up to 32GB in the future. If you use a 2 x 8GB kit in two good slots that's how you could keep it without having to RMA. I would ask the seller to simply send out a good 9020 mobo. They'll likely let you keep the old one too.

The seller probably only did some basic testing. They put in a single 4GB DIMM and booted to BIOS. It booted, so they say "that's a good one." More professional refurbishers, with certified techs, that charge more money, will have tested more thoroughly. It saves you from having to go through stuff like this. You did get a really low price but also got one non-working DIMM slot.

Last edited:
Back