Contribute
Register

The 4K Dell OptiMac - 9020 MT - Core i7-4790 - Radeon RX 570 - LG 4K IPS Monitor

Thanks again Trs for this guide as well as everyone else who has contributed to the thread. I have read through all 181 pages finally!
My Optiplex is half complete but up and running on internal graphics without out any issues that I can see. Currently I have Mojave running on a 1tb NVME drive with the EFI partition and a backup of Mojave (the one I cloned to the NVME) on a separate 500gb 860 Evo ssd. I also have windows 10 pro installed on a separate 1tb 860 evo that shows up in clover (v 5102) and boots fine. Everything appears to work at this stage including USB ports, sleep/wake etc (have plugintype checked on and legacy ROMs unchecked in bios A25).

I installed Mojave 10.14.6.06 with a bit of a hybrid method based on Trs's Catalina mini guide (and his equally easy to follow 'updated for 2020' 8300 Elite guide). I used unibeast 9.3 and added/deleted the kexts and drivers as per the catalina mini guide. Installed and booted fine except i initially had no internet with the included ethernet kext. I had to manually replace the kext with the one from my 8300 elite build to get ethernet working (now using intelmausiEthernet.kext dated 3 Apr 2020, the one installed with unibeast 9.3 was dated 8 Jan 2020).

I used superduper to clone mojave from the ssd to the NVME drive because i have a full licence for that cloning app. I can confirm though that superduper it does not reformat the NVME drive like CCC. Initially I had the NVME formatted HFS+ as per the guide and when i cloned mojave across (from the APFS ssd) it stayed HFS+, still booted fine that way but after reading whats involved in updating this setup I chose to reformat the NVME to APFS with disk utility and clone mojave across again. Works fine that way as well, seen in clover and boots from clover 5102 with no issues. I am only using the NVMEexpressdxr-64 driver,linked in Trs's first post, in the drivers/UEFI folder.

Have a seasonic PSU and sapphire pulse rx-580 here in a box ready to go, just waiting for the 24 to 8 pin adapter from moddiy. I ordered it 6 weeks ago but its coming from HK to Australia by boat due to COVID! I think they might have just put it in a bottle and thrown it in HK harbour hoping it will wash up here!

Just a couple of questions I have from reading through the thread:
1. Plugintype checked or unchecked? I currently have in checked. I understand this is something to do with cpu power management. On IPG my cpu sits at a core min of 0.7.
2. ig-platform-id what should this be set to? what does it do? Currently it is blank (greyed out '0x') in my config.
3. SSD trim. whats the consensus, should it be on or off when using APFS? I read some posts saying it wasn't required. TRIM is currently off on my windows and boot ssds (both 860 evos) but is on on the NVME drive, though I didn't turn it on so not sure how that happened? Maybe the driver does it?
4. SSDT-USB. I'm using the one from the original post (dated 1 Oct 2019). I assume its the updated one from page 65 post 665. Looking on hackintool, they all seem to work at proper speed and the internal usb 2 header is mapped, though i'm not using it. I was going to try making my own for learning purposes but can you conform that this is the one I should be using? That way I can check the one i make against it to see if i did it right!

Thanks again Trs for your knowledge, patience and availability as well as for your easy to follow guides. I was happy with my 8300 elite ssf but limited to HS with the nvidia graphics. The fact that you had written this optiplex guide was a major factor in deciding to build my second hack and ditch the web driver limitations. I have stuck with Mojave because I use photoshop CS6 (has some 32 bit...bits) but I may install catalina on the boot ssd in the future (after making multiple backups!)

Cheers

1. Plugintype checked or unchecked? I currently have in checked. I understand this is something to do with cpu power management. On IPG my cpu sits at a core min of 0.7.
I've gone back to not using Plugintype with my 4790 and it seems to work fine. At idle it actually uses less energy than my old dual core i3 Sandy Bridge CPU. Try it both ways and see what happens by watching the Intel Power Gadget app. When you have the same CPU that Apple used in the iMac, PM just seems to work better than when other CPUs that Apple never used are in your Dell Optiplex.
2. ig-platform-id what should this be set to? what does it do? Currently it is blank (greyed out '0x') in my config
This is a Devices -> Properties entry in the config.plist. It should be greyed out in Clover Configurator where you see that.
3. SSD trim. whats the consensus, should it be on or off when using APFS? I read some posts saying it wasn't required. TRIM is currently off on my windows and boot ssds
TRIM is not mandatory on modern Sata and NVME SSDs. If you leave your CustoMac on most of the day and have idle time the GC feature (garbage collection) takes care of what the Trim setting does.
4. SSDT-USB. I'm using the one from the original post (dated 1 Oct 2019). I assume its the updated one from page 65 post 665.
I looked at both SSDT-USB files and don't see any differences. You can use either one.

Thanks again Trs for your knowledge, patience and availability as well as for your easy to follow guides. I was happy with my 8300 elite ssf but limited to HS with the nvidia graphics. The fact that you had written this optiplex guide was a major factor in deciding to build my second hack
Glad I could help you get two working hacks. Thanks for reading thoroughly and following directions. Many people ask for help before they even do any serious searching for answers. I try to put everything required in the guides so I don't spend all day answering questions that are easily searched for and found. I want readers to get a fully working system but also want them to learn how this all works. That's the main reason I go into so much detail. If I were to hand out a finished EFI folder that gets copied and pasted, what would the reader learn ? This is why this community also discourages people from buying hacks with macOS pre-installed. Not only is it illegal to do that, the new hack owner will probably have more down time than time actual time getting work done on it. They're also clueless as to how to fix the problems that will eventually come up now and again.

Last edited:
Thanks Trs, i'll try unchecking plugintype and see what changes. Reference the ig-platform-id, I read a post from nichsoph on page 174 post 1739 talking about setting it to 0x0d220003, thats what prompted the question. I was taking notes as I read through the thread so I could refer back! I wasn't sure what this did or if it is something i will need once i can stick the sapphire rx580 in the mix. Is it only the primary video setting in the bios that I will have to alter when I put in the rx580? Currently set to intel hd graphics, didn't want to put it back to auto in case it messed wth wake from sleep which works great at the moment but I understand wont work after the rx580 goes in.

I can't see any difference in the numbers from IPG. What should I be looking at/for? In the picture below the screenshot on the left is from my current config with plugintype checked on, the one on the right is my test config with plugintype off (everything else should be the same as i just duplicated it before testing). I selected the test config via the clover options menu.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 1.40.12 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 1.40.12 pm.png
    258.5 KB · Views: 40
Reference the ig-platform-id, I read a post from nichsoph on page 174 post 1739 talking about setting it to 0x0d220003, thats what prompted the question. I was taking notes as I read through the thread so I could refer back! I wasn't sure what this did or if it is something i will need once i can stick the sapphire rx580 in the mix.
The ig-platform-id already in the config.plist is (ig) just for the integrated graphics. You can leave it alone and the 580 will work.

What should I be looking at/for? In the picture below the screenshot on the left is from my current config with plugintype checked on, the one on the right is my test config with plugintype off (everything else should be the same as i just duplicated it before testing).
I would leave plugintype enabled. Seems that it's working fine in your setup. If you do want the most in depth info on CPU power mgt. you can see Toleda's thread here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/macos-native-cpu-igpu-power-management.222982/ Check to see how many CPU states you're getting in the ioreg.

Last edited:
Have a seasonic PSU and sapphire pulse rx-580 here in a box ready to go, just waiting for the 24 to 8 pin adapter from moddiy. I ordered it 6 weeks ago but its coming from HK to Australia by boat due to COVID! I think they might have just put it in a bottle and thrown it in HK harbour hoping it will wash up here!
Ha, this is exactly where I am with my build. I just ordered one off of Amazon that should hopefully get here within the next few days.

Thanks @trs96 for this build guide. I was able to get my dual-boot setup done pretty easily & everything works perfectly so far in Catalina. These Haswell systems are great low-budget workstations/gaming computers.

These Haswell systems are great low-budget workstations/gaming computers.
I agree with that 100%. Even more so since new hardware prices, including PSUs and cases just keep going up this year.

HI everyone, I suddenly have a wake from sleep issue with my optiplex (still using internal graphics). Sleep/wake was working perfectly until today, not sure what has changed as I haven't made any changes to bios/clover etc. now when it wakes from sleep, the screen stays blank and it doesnt wake by keyboard or mouse like it did before. All I can think that has changed is that:
1. I put the side cover on. I have had it off the entire time i was setting up the hack so first time back on. Is there a case intrusion switch, could this affect anything?
2. The optiplex is plugged into a dell U2713HM via displayport. I did have my hp 8300 connected to the same monitor via dvi and was switching between the two via the monitor OSD without issue. Yesterday I unplugged the Hp and dvi cable. Not sure how this could affect the optiplex.
I have tried:
booting with plugintype on and off, no change
taken side panel back off, no change
plugged in the hp again, no change
I checked bios and a new macosX boot option had appeared, deselected in and rebooted , no change
replaced my EFI folder with my backup, no change
I'm at a loss to work out what has happened, any ideas? If i hard restart the machine it boots normally.

@Bjay check your bios settings and which dp your monitor is connected to.

Back