Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can proudly say that I could install El Capitan on my new system, Z170X Gaming 5, i7 6700K, GTX780 TI G1 Gaming. Everything works good except sound. I didn't have time to fiddle with that just yet, since I already use USB headphones.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this possible.

I have the same mobo and cpu except running a 960 gtx.
Would you mind posting a guide or efi folder please.

I have the The GA-Z170mx-Gaming 5 Board, I have everything working except sleep. I cannot map my usb 3.1 ports because I do not have any usb 3.1 devices and when I connect something to the usb 3.1 port it is recognized, but does not show up in ioregistry as a HS or SS device but under "AppleUSB20XHCIPort@00200000" I am using a GTX 650 for my graphics so all is well on that side, although sometimes I have to change the os version to 10.11 in clover during boot to avoid KP's
my usb-ssdt does not have usb 3.1 mapping because I could not determine the ports

I have a similiar rig: GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 with i7-6700K and EVGA GTX 960 4GB and SM951 512GB NVMe SSD. Got most of it working (I'll post the details soon). USB was the only thing that was really problematic. My progress so far:

1) Plain vanilla Clover with NVMe driver + plain vanilla Mac OS X 10.11.2: Boot to desktop (from NVMe drive), no USB ports
2) Add Skylake AppleAPIC patch to Clover: two USB2 ports working
3) Install USBinjectAll.kext and AppleUSBXHCIPCI patch raising the USB port limit to 30:
- USB mouse working in all USB2/3/3.1 ports (didn't test type C)
- USB3 flash drive working in some of the USB2/3.0 ports, but not all. When working always at the correct speed (3.0 where possible).
- USB3 flash drive did not work in USB3.1 port.
4) Tried the config from itech:
⁃ added 2 ACPI patches to remap USB port injectors (EHC1/2 to EH01/2)
- added SSDT-USB-GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5.aml as SSDT-1.aml in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched (I already have an HDMI audio patch installed as SSDT.aml)
- enable USB FixOwnership option in Clover

Now all ports work at the correct speeds:
- USB mouse working in all USB2/3/3.1 ports (didn't test type C)
- USB3 flash drive working in all of the USB2/3.0 ports, at 3.0 speed where possible
- USB3 flash drive did not work in USB3.1 port.

So this seems to have improved the USB3 support. I then removed the USBinjectAll.kext, but that deactivated some of the USB ports.

@itech @loggedout: do you also use the USBinjectAll.kext? I also noticed that you use the _OSI to XOSI patch in ACPI and the SSDT_XOSI.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched. I have not installed those yet. Do you need to rename all SSDT.aml files sequential for them to be loaded?

Maximus viii hero working well, except for sleep, a weird iMessage problem (it logs in, but tells me that the numbers I am trying to communicate with are not registered with iMessage, though I know they are) and a few other strange things, that may have nothing to do with Hackintoshing the machine. For example, my dasKeyboard is sometimes not recognized at boot up ....

Anyway this is a great machine, sure a lot faster than my "early 2008" was ...

Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible.

It seems that there has been great progress so far with the z170x gaming 5 motherboard. I need to order a dedicated ssd and then I will be making my own attempt at getting a hackintosh working with my rig. I am very much still keeping my eye out for this.

It seems that there has been great progress so far with the z170x gaming 5 motherboard. I need to order a dedicated ssd and then I will be making my own attempt at getting a hackintosh working with my rig. I am very much still keeping my eye out for this.

I have the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 with a i7-6700k and 10.11.2 installs and runs smoothly. I just need to figure out my graphics problem and the duplicates in bbs.

Has anyone tried with the ASRock H170M PRO4 Motherboard? Any suggestions about it?

Thanks!

KSearch

Warning this guide ignores all other OS, following this may cause other OS on your system to not boot.

Try the following:

In Clover -> Add Clover boot options for all entries

In Clover -> Start EFI Shell

In EFI Shell -> type these commands

Code:
bcfg boot dump
This will give you a list of all boot entries.

Delete all entries starting with PCI, do NOT delete those starting with HD, using this command:

If a PCI entry is 02:
Code:
bcfg boot rm 02
Be aware that boot entry 03 will now be 02.

When you have removed all PCI entries, use the same command until you only have one HD entry pointing to \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI

Boot into OS X, mount your EFI partiton and RENAME the EFI/BOOT folder to something else like BOOT.BAK

Now you should not get any more entries.

My understanding is that this is caused by a bug in the AMI UEFI, which is adding a PCI boot entry every time it sees EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, but by adding the /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI (which is the same as the other) and removing EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, we are circumventing the bug.

I had to do a similar thing as CJ's above post to disable the continuous duplication of BIOS boot entries created by BOOTX64.EFI everytime it assumed a PCI boot entry was available.

The important thing to remember is ONLY to remove PCI entries - and take NOTE of the boot entry order number to remove is labelled in blue as OPTION (e.g. OPTION 04 shows a PCI entry in description, therefore this would equal bcfg boot rm 04 ) and NOT the long number in blue (boot00002) which is a disk order entry and nothing to do with it.

You should be able to clear out all PCI entries (make sure you relist the boot options by typing bcfg boot dump after each PCI removal to keep track of correct items to remove.

Eventually you should be left with just HD options pointing to CLOVERX64.EFI which can all be left in (main boot, recovery, etc) then EXIT and boot straight into OSX, mount the EFI partition and rename EFI/Boot to Boot.bak.

Then you'll be good to go and no more duplicates.

Ive managed to do this whilst a Windows 10 install is on a separate drive (its descriptor was HD and not PCI so all good). Its all fairly obvious.

When you check your BIOS setup you should see only these two entries with
Option 1 P0 Clover EFI boot
Option 2 P1 Windows Boot Manager
Option 3 is a DISABLED 'Hard Drive' USB

My OSX drive is Disk0, and Windows drive is Disk1.

Good luck!

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 170
if you accidentally remove the clover boot option you can recreate it using a linux command line tool called efibootmgr. I had to use it so I could stop getting 50+ entries during boot. I used
Code:
efibootmgr -d "/dev/sdX" -p Y -c -L "Clover" -l "/EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi"
"X" is the drive letter and "Y" is partition number on that drive. after that I only get one extra recreated boot option which is my 2nd HDD. original link is https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface to quickly get to applicable section search for NVRAM. hope its useful

Last edited:
I have the Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 with a i7-6700k and 10.11.2 installs and runs smoothly. I just need to figure out my graphics problem and the duplicates in bbs.

Was there a particular guide you followed? I just received my new ssd dedicated for osx today and I will be attempting this soon.

Added to top:

As of 2016, the Skylake platform is working well with the exception of Intel HD 530 graphics and some USB problems.

Unfortunately, using a discrete graphics card is the only way to get a fully functional system right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back