Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can proudly say that I could install El Capitan on my new system, Z170X Gaming 5, i7 6700K, GTX780 TI G1 Gaming. Everything works good except sound. I didn't have time to fiddle with that just yet, since I already use USB headphones.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to making this possible.

***For some reason I am getting multiple boot entries. Does anyone know how to fix this? The list is growing with every reboot! I now have 10 entries when I hit F12 for the boot device menu.

Warning this guide ignores all other OS, following this may cause other OS on your system to not boot.

Try the following:

In Clover -> Add Clover boot options for all entries

In Clover -> Start EFI Shell

In EFI Shell -> type these commands

Code:
bcfg boot dump
This will give you a list of all boot entries.

Delete all entries starting with PCI, do NOT delete those starting with HD, using this command:

If a PCI entry is 02:
Code:
bcfg boot rm 02
Be aware that boot entry 03 will now be 02.

When you have removed all PCI entries, use the same command until you only have one HD entry pointing to \EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.EFI

Boot into OS X, mount your EFI partiton and RENAME the EFI/BOOT folder to something else like BOOT.BAK

Now you should not get any more entries.

My understanding is that this is caused by a bug in the AMI UEFI, which is adding a PCI boot entry every time it sees EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, but by adding the /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI (which is the same as the other) and removing EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, we are circumventing the bug.

I have the Gaming G1 / i7 6700k / gtx980ti

I am trying to install OSX 10.11.1
- I succeed in booting with Skylake fix from Pike R Alpha
- I built Meinze's Atheros2200 (the last one with e2400 support) with Xcode with El Captain SDK. but it's not working (no ethernet)
- I installed NVidia's driver and booted with nvda_drv = 1. Didn't work and tried with the fix at policies in Apple.Graphics.Policy.kext, and didn't work either.

I will try to do a clean install again, I may have messed up with some kexts.

After reinstalling everything it works (10.11.1)!
- Piker Alpha config modification for APIC
- Mieze atherose2200ethernet kext
- Piker modification for Nvidia under Apple.Graphics.Policy.kext with MAC6.1

What's not working : sound card

Warning this guide ignores all other OS, following this may cause other OS on your system to not boot.

Now you should not get any more entries.

My understanding is that this is caused by a bug in the AMI UEFI, which is adding a PCI boot entry every time it sees EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, but by adding the /EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.EFI (which is the same as the other) and removing EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, we are circumventing the bug.

Thanks! Worked like a charm!

I see that some people on this thread have tried using NVME-based SSDs like the 950 Pro without success, as there is only native support for Apple's own NVME drives.

However, MacVidCards have released a driver to support 3rd party NVME SSDs in OS X here (big thanks to JimJ740 who made it):

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Although it says you won't be able to boot off an NVME drive (referring to real Macs), users with Hacks have reported booting success as long as you have an NVME-capable EFI mobo, which pretty much all 100 series mobos are. You can follow their testing here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/309311-nvme-express-digging/page-3

I don't have Skylake hardware so I can't test for you guys sadly, although my Z97 board supports NVME so I can test general Mac compatibility once I order my 950 Pro (and if it works on Z97 chipset).

Attachments

• FIREWIRE-STARTECH-3-PORT-1394-PCI-EXPRESS-FIREWIRE-CARD.jpg
    FIREWIRE-STARTECH-3-PORT-1394-PCI-EXPRESS-FIREWIRE-CARD.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 265
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back