Testing Thread: Skylake Platform in OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few 100 series available :

Z170
H170
H110
B150

Similar to previous generations, the 'Z' one is the full fat overlcockable one. The 'H' ones are not meant for overclocking and cheaper, the 'B' variant I think is usually used for business class boards, meaning cheap, cheerful and typically few frills if any.

The H110 also restricts ram to 2 x physical slots.

I've not seen datasheets for them all yet though, so not sure about ID's.

One datasheet for all 100-series.

Note: Current 100-series datasheet (dated August 2014) is woefully full of errors.

It is likely all these chipsets share the same/similar architecture (and device-ids) when it comes to the basic functionality SATA/XHCI/etc.

For the two big problems currently: XHCI and SATA, the Z170 boards out there share the same device-ids as shown in the ioreg from iMac17,1, so I think we be rest assured that the devices will work, provided we figure out what the major problem is.

B150 is the one that Gigabyte is using for its entry level motherboards with DDR3. Same memory as new imacs. Perhaps this is the one. It will be quite sad if Apple is using the entry level for its more than expensive desktops.

People on InsanelyMac have had success with using PCI/PCIe -> USB 2.0 (not 3.0!) add-in cards, as well as PCI/PCIe -> SATA. Might be something to try if you want USB and/or don't want to have to buy an M.2 hard drive.

So if I have an m.2 drive my boot will work without any PCIe>Sata cards on Skylake?

So it looks that a Skylake build is going to require some serious growing pains. That's a shame. I've been holding off on doing my first build, but since stability is my top priority, perhaps I should just go with Haswell even if it's "old" tech. It'll still be plenty more advanced than my Sandy Bridge 2011 Mac Mini.

Thanks for all the great work!

Can I install the OS x on my PC ? Spec :Gigabyte B150M HD3 ,Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Skylake Processor 3.2 GHz ,Intel® HD Graphics 530 , 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1866 ,2TB Hard Drive . Thanks :)

Can I install the OS x on my PC ? Spec :Gigabyte B150M HD3 ,Intel® Core™ i5-6500 Skylake Processor 3.2 GHz ,Intel® HD Graphics 530 , 8 GB Kingston DDR3 1866 ,2TB Hard Drive . Thanks :)

I think your system is very similar to new imacs. It will be interesting to see if it presents the same errors as the other tested system. If you have time try on it and told us about the results. Thanks in advance.:thumbup:

Not without quite a few hoops to jump through that requires purchase of various adapters. Even
then OS X El Cap will not run the same as on an iMac, Skylake version. Wait until 10.11.3 is
released then give it a try. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back