Contribute
Register

Testing Thread: Gigabyte BRIX Mini PC kit - Core i3 Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi ulvaeus,

I have the same BRIX GB-XM12-3227(bios: F5)
How did you manage to get it working? except mini display port.
I tried the edited DSDT with HDMI audio from tonymacx, can't even boot..

could you please tell me how you did it?

Thanks a lot!

The 10.9.2 update seems to have permanently fixed the crackling/submarine audio problems over HDMI I had!

Argg!!!

It's back :( It just takes much longer to reproduce. Apple fail++

I'm currently trying to get Mavericks installed on the i5-4200 version but whenever I boot using my USB stick, I select the unibeast icon and it'll go to the apple screen for about a second before rebooting. I've upgraded the bios to F4. I've tried -x, -x dart=0, some combination with npci etc but always the same result. Any recommendations or tips?

Hi,

anyone have step by step instructions for installation? I'm not used to osx and have been using Linux/windows.

what I've tried is to connect my external bd writer/player and ran iboot-ivyB and then used my brothers SL dvd but the screen doesn't update and I get a restart message.

any help?

thanks

Sorry if this is a silly question but i am just setting up my Brix atm, after the OSX (using mountain lion) install do i have to dump the contents of BRIX.zip onto the OSX hdd? if so where? also do i just have to place DSDT on the desktop during multibeast installation?

Thanks in advance Tom

View attachment 60458 View attachment 60457
I got the Gigabyte BRIX Core i3 Mini pc kit for testing.​

GIGABYTE BRIX GB-XM12-3227 - Amazon Newegg
Included:
-Intel Core i3-3227U 1.9GHz w/ HD 4000 Graphics (Ivy Bridge)
-Intel HM77 Motherboard (7-series)
-Mini PCIe WIFI
-Power Adapter
Not included:
-8GB Corsair Vengeance SO-DIMM RAM - Amazon Newegg
-30GB OCZ Nocti mSATA SSD - Amazon Newegg

Pretty much took the SO-DIMM and mSATA out of the B75TN Thin Mini-ITX Build, and booted it up- even with the B75TN DSDT. Results: Everything but wifi works. Full HDMI Audio, LAN, DP, USB3. Mini PCIe Wifi b/g/n built in does not work. It's Realtek RTL8188CE. There are some OS X drivers available for similar Realtek wifi, but not for native airport (link). Will need to get a working mini pcie.

Power Management also not native- it's not got the default Gigabyte UEFI- so patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext from MultiBeast works to enable sleep/wake. Can also patch BIOS instead.

File Dumps: View attachment 60474

Edited DSDT with HDMI Audio: View attachment 60520

Photos: http://www.tonymacx86.com/members/tonymacx86/albums/gigabyte-brix/

10.9 Mavericks (edit)
View attachment 70930View attachment 70931View attachment 70932View attachment 70933
Success with Mavericks 10.9.3.
Thought I would save myself and others some time by summarising my experiences with:
GIGABYTE BRIX GB-XM12-3227, running F6 bios.

Leave the BIOS alone.
Firstly - dont touch the out of box BIOS settings. I messed around and bricked my brix.
I ended up with a black screen. I was able to reset the BIOS "blind" by pressing [del] during boot for first few seconds to enter setup, then using the following commands.
[left arrow]
[down arrow][down arrow]
[enter][enter]
[up arrow][up arrow]
[enter][enter]

Create the bootable USB key with mutlibeast
Start with a USB stick with Mavericks 10.9.3 and latest multibeast using the instructions here and follow through until step 5.

When you reach step 5, post installation, Here is what worked for me in Multibeast:tick the following boxes as part of the customisation.

Quick Start: user DSDT as attached by tonymac in original post above - this selects some boxes, dont change these. In addition, I had success after ticking:
Drivers: Audio>Options HD3000/4000. Disk> Trim Enabler. Misc> USB 3.0. Network>Realtek RTL81xx. System> PatchedAppleIntelCPUmanagement OS X 10.9.0
Bootloaders >Chimera 3.0.1 (already ticked I think)
Now reboot...

Fix the Boot0 Error
At this stage using crucial M500 240gb, I had Boot0 Error. I think this is SSD dependent. I fixed it with instructions here. In brief, boot into the OS X installer, unmount the SSD in disk utility, then run the following command in terminal

Code:
dd if=/usr/standalone/i386/boot1h of=/dev/disk0s2

Success
At this stage, it all works for me. I have HDMI sound (fixed full volume) and working USB. Ethernet is working. No WIFI - I plan to try a cheap
Atheros AR5B91 which I have ordered off ebay for WIFI / bluetooth...
if I see another cheap Brix on the web, I may hackintosh it too.

I agree with stapsell, I followed that guide and have had no issues just not had time to post a comment.

Followed stapsells guide, even the boot0 error and it worked perfectly but for one thing. i cant boot into the os even with boot flags. i have tried booting with these flags, sometimes with all just in case and i keep getting the same kernel panic.:
- v
-x
-S
GraphicsEnabler=Yes
PCIRootUID=1
any ideas what i should try next

Attachments

• WP_20140605_001.jpg
    WP_20140605_001.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.