Contribute
Register

Testers with Ivy ProBooks needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, good to know, i did not really test it in windows.
Can someone with a real mac, different kext, different hack, confirm that they have the volume control options? It might also depend on the AppleHDA?

Edit: I googled a bit and it seems that this is the correct behaviour in OSX, however you can probably use SoundFlower to manipulate with the volume if that is important.

I too see no volume control for HDMI in system preferences.

I too see no volume control for HDMI in system preferences.
Normal, I think no one does, not even on a real mac, if someone has different info please point me to it...

Normal, I think no one does, not even on a real mac, if someone has different info please point me to it...

It makes sense really. The whole idea behind bit-streaming audio is to take the actual source and transfer it to the playback device unmodified. Manipulating the gain would require modification of the bits that represent the audio.

It is the same in Windows if operating in "Exclusive mode" (Media Center does this)... no volume control in Exclusive mode. Windows has the capability to mix various audio sources, control volume, and otherwise manipulate the bit-stream before sending via HDMI (or optical) in non-Exclusive mode (I forget the real term for this mode), but most people concerned about audio quality avoid this since it results in re-sampling and other manipulations of the original audio source. Purists are after direct transfer of the bits for decoding at the audio receiver (using an AVR used in home theater).

Purists are after direct transfer of the bits for decoding at the audio receiver (using an AVR used in home theater).

Which is cool and all, but some of us just use hdmi as a readily available output and aren't as concerned with the quality. It would be the bees knees if there was a hack to take over hdmi volume control in non-exclusive mode like windows.

I'll have to play around with soundflower and see if I can do it from there.

@kpkp

Have you tested this patch with 10.8.4 yet?

@kpkp

Have you tested this patch with 10.8.4 yet?
Yesterday i was busy with other things and right now I do not have a hdmi display at hand, but will do it in a couple of hours, stay tuned :D.

BTW: what Probooks with what screen you have now? You seem the one that changes them fast around here:).

Yesterday i was busy with other things and right now I do not have a hdmi display at hand, but will do it in a couple of hours, stay tuned :D.
Thanks, we'll be waiting.

BTW: what Probooks with what screen you have now? You seem the one that changes them fast around here:).
I've got 4540S with 1080p but ... it is thousands miles away :(
My primary desktop is P4 3.0GHz for now.

The script works (so does the modified kext) and is quite a safe bet it will work in the future too, since it modifies a "configuration table" that Apple is not likely to change. So my suggestion would be to try implement the script and not the kexts, but is up to you "PBI maintainers".

Anyways here is the kext and the script is in the first post.

Attachments

• AppleIntelFramebufferCapri_10.8.4.zip
    194.8 KB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back