Contribute
Register

Tested Mobo that will handle Thunderbolt 2 for audio but can be upgraded to TB3 later?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! Been lurking and trying learn as much as I can before posting.

I'd like to build a fast i7 Hackintosh that I can dual-boot into Windows and MacOS to connect to a Focusrite Clarett 2pre over Thunderbolt.

The Focusrite is TB1, which is automatically TB2 compatible. I've read this thread about getting the Gigabyte Z270 UD5 working with it under MacOS using Apple's TB3 to TB2 adapter, but the issue is that Focusrite say they're still developing their TB3 driver in Windows, and TB3 to TB2 adapters may not work.

So it seems to me I need a Hackintosh-compatible motherboard with TB2. But at this stage in the development cycle, I'd like to use a more modern board than the Z87 (-era) boards with TB2 built in, and have the option to upgrade to TB3, so I need a recent board with an onboard TB header that supports a TB2 plug in card and then, if I ever need to upgrade, I can pull that and replace with a TB3 card. So the mobo header needs to support both TB2 or TB3 plugin cards under MacOS.

Does anyone know of such a motherboard? The whole thing needs to run solid and glitch free, too!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back