Contribute
Register

Test Report: ASUS P8Z77-I Mini-ITX + 3570K

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ Going Bald, have you tried linux - ubuntu 12 LTS ? i had a strange issue with it.

basically (im on a completley diff machine) the driver needed downloading/activating in ubuntu which ive never had to do before.

i only say because my wifi card i think was similar to yours

also can you make drivers from linux ? say for audio are you able to read it and then save the driver in a format that mac can read ?

i dont mean you specifically i mean is it possible and then can you also do this for other things like wifi or something ?

ps that looks like an awesome board and it looks like you can mount a set of Ariel s on it or am i wrong ? the 2 golden screw bits near what looks like an optical in or out ?

@ samandliam no surely not ?? how would that look to the eye seeing that shuved into your machine tho ? unless you have some type of retro casing and then open it up to show people when they come round to your house that its not a retro machine its actually hi powered that just sounds mad !!!! -- there has to be a card that works why not hold untill you know that there is one ?

question
is the wifi on board not removable ? - answering my own question from here it looks removable so im sure we can find a working mini pcie card reet ?

@ Going Bald - there are others with issues but there on different setups.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&su ... 40&bih=799

and at going bald http://www.sartatek.com/product-p/ar5b93.htm

Flyhero said:
The Linux STA driver supports both 43228 aswell as 43224, actually it supports almost all DevIDs Apple is supporting, plus some others, so the Apple driver must be similar.
Yes, the STA driver works fine in Linux. The Apple driver may be similar, but een adding vendor ID/device ID to the Apple kext .plist doesn't get it to work. Rebranding it as an Apple card might work, but the problem there is that I haven't found a tool to allow me to extract the firmware from the card and rebrand it as an Apple card. Linux tool b43fw_cutter won't work as it is not a b43 driver. It is a wl driver. Needs different tools and I haven't found anyone in the Linux community who has had any success in extraction the firmware. It is evidently not identified as SSB_SPROM.

What a coincidence! I just found this thread and noticed that my build is using the same case (PC-TU200), the same board and the same processor too. I'm still waiting on a few parts so my rig is only partially built.

I removed the drive cage and fit a Thermaltake Water 2.0 performer in with room to spare. I installed a SSD in the bottom of the case and also a 3.5" HD and slim optical drive in a 5.25 bay adapter up top. So far things are coming together nicely. Now I have to decide on a GPU. Any ideas?

FYI -- As for the PSU, I ordered a SilverStone ST50F-P 500w modular power supply. It's depth is only 140mm and with the optional short cable set it should leave me plenty of room to wire things up properly. I wanted to wait and hold out for the upcoming ST45SF-G, a 450w SFX gold PSU (http://www.overclock.net/products/silve ... wer-supply), but who knows how long before it's available for general purchase? I do think this PSU will be a game changer.

Great work so far, you're going to have a sweet machine when all is said and done!

Going Bald said:
Flyhero said:
The Linux STA driver supports both 43228 aswell as 43224, actually it supports almost all DevIDs Apple is supporting, plus some others, so the Apple driver must be similar.
Yes, the STA driver works fine in Linux. The Apple driver may be similar, but een adding vendor ID/device ID to the Apple kext .plist doesn't get it to work. Rebranding it as an Apple card might work, but the problem there is that I haven't found a tool to allow me to extract the firmware from the card and rebrand it as an Apple card. Linux tool b43fw_cutter won't work as it is not a b43 driver. It is a wl driver. Needs different tools and I haven't found anyone in the Linux community who has had any success in extraction the firmware. It is evidently not identified as SSB_SPROM.

So instead of rebranding have you tried to inject an Apple DevID through DSDT?

Flyhero said:
So instead of rebranding have you tried to inject an Apple DevID through DSDT?
Yep. That didn't work either.

genzai said:
while i can't help much with the wifi part, BCM20702A0 is the BT 4.0 chipset and i have this working fine through a simple hack.

see viewtopic.php?f=22&t=65109

g\
Got BT working already. Just trying to find something to get the wifi running. If I can't get the card working with Mountain Lion when it comes out, I will just replace it with a working wifi only card and use a Targus BT dongle.

what is the likelihood power management will be fixed? would using a sandy bridge cpu help anything?

i really really want to get this board because i doubt gigabyte's going to have a mini-itx this high end. looking at the this and a bitfenix prodigy case so i can have my own mac pro mini!

thanks guys! love the work and willingness to share your experiences. it make everyone else's lives so much easier.

Power management problem is due to ASUS BIOS locking down a file that Apple's power management kext wants to write to. Since it can't, instant KP without NullCPUPM kext.
Don't know if someone has written a patched speed stepper for it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back