Contribute
Register

Test Drive: How to Create a Clover USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
seems i missed something....

once i install clover on the usb, and i get the success windows. i close it, open up the drive and its empty. was looking to find this:

16. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist*
17. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add FakeSMC.kext
18. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add your ethernet kext
19. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.9/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
20. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi
21. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

where is #16-#21? is the drive suppose to be empty after install?

thanks!
Drive may only look empty. Have you tried mounting the EFI partition of the USB so you can add the kexts listed in 17-21?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/
You might use the show all files app to show all hidden files on the USB if unsure if anything was installed on it by UniBeast.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/showallfiles.142/

I'm on Yosemite for 2 years and very happy, but now I must upgrade to El Capitan, at least.
Now, Clover USB created. Thank you.
How to test it?
:)
How to test this USB to be sure my system will work fine with it?
This USB didn't show up on boot.
Didn't show up in startup preferences(not suppose to AFAIK)
Thank you.

Last edited:
Drive may only look empty. Have you tried mounting the EFI partition of the USB so you can add the kexts listed in 17-21?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/efi-mounter-v3.280/
You might use the show all files app to show all hidden files on the USB if unsure if anything was installed on it by UniBeast.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/showallfiles.142/

thanks for the input!

ok this is what happened: i had the usb drive plugged in and i restarted the osx. upon boot up the clover boot screen showed up. so it works in my system! thing is that when i chose my OSX HD i got a kernel panic, i got this error:
Mac OS version
not yet set

so , i removed the clover usb from the system and i restarted once again, only to be welcomed by the clover boot menu again. did i somehow install clover in my system? how do i revert back to chimera? i am not able to boot into my osx partition currently (yosemite) thanks!

Trying to test drive USB clover on OS X 10.9.5, Sabertooth x79, Xeon E51650 v2, GT 740. I've been using chimera for a few years and want to migrate to clover in preparation for upgrading the OS.
I've tried the various boot args but after getting through the clover screen the boot process starts then stops with a white screen.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Update: I got past the above roadblock by adding "nvda_drv=1". I guess I'll head off to another forum to figure out how to fine tune clover before committing it to my mavericks disk.

Last edited:
Where you able to install (What version of OS X?) without booflags for a 6 core CPU?
Did you install the nVidia GT740 drivers on your clover install USB?
The other concern is are you using MacPro 5.1 or 6.1 definition on your USB installer?

All these hiccups could cause your machine to not complete the boot process into the installer. Good luck.

Solidww, thank you for your reply. I'm on a mavericks 10.9.5 desktop booting with chimera and testing clover from a usb drive. The chimera/Mavericks machine has been stable for a long time. I want to migrate to clover on the mavericks machine. Later on I will upgrade to el capitan. I want to have clover running before I upgrade the OS.

So I'm not trying to install any OS at this time... just trying to make clover work from the USB drive.

I did not use any boot flags for a 6-core cpu, did not install nVidia drivers on the clover USB, and don't know what MacPro definition is used on the clover USB drive. I made the USB clover drive following the instructions in the first post of this thread. I'm trying to figure out Clover Configurator to make the changes you are asking about. I'm not familiar with the what all these settings mean.

Maybe you can tell me how to load the nvidia drivers on the clover USB drive? Is there a Clover Configurator guide for Dummies?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Well, using the basic Unibeast how to guide. I was able to create a USB drive that installed on an X58A board with a 6 core CPU. I was also able to use an AMD of nVidia GPU to do the install. But, I used what are considered native cards.

Do a search for the basic Unibeast for El Capitan creation guide. That will be a great place to start. You will be using either Unibeast 6 or 7 to create your USB drive. Good luck and keep asking.

Hello. I run 10.13 actually and I would like to test some other settings with another Bootloader like here explained by USB.
I get it working to get to the clover boot manager from the usb stick and the use of keks apfs to see the HS volumes.
There are just a few things I don’t understand actually.
1. Why is the behaviour not the same while booting - like the screen went black in verbose mode, no error visible & I need a reset to go on ...
2. I understand how to upgrade clover version and how to change settings in the base system if the usb version would run well. What I don’t get is how to restore the backup when the mac is not reachable.. Is the idea to have the backup on the usb volume to reach everything from there ?
Thanks in advance!

Hello. I run 10.13 actually and I would like to test some other settings with another Bootloader like here explained by USB.
I get it working to get to the clover boot manager from the usb stick and the use of keks apfs to see the HS volumes.
There are just a few things I don’t understand actually.
1. Why is the behaviour not the same while booting - like the screen went black in verbose mode, no error visible & I need a reset to go on ...
2. I understand how to upgrade clover version and how to change settings in the base system if the usb version would run well. What I don’t get is how to restore the backup when the mac is not reachable.. Is the idea to have the backup on the usb volume to reach everything from there ?
Thanks in advance!

OH, okay. This conversation has gone above my pay grade. LOL. I don't understand all that. I know your pain though. Attempting to understand why certain things are happening. I will no longer be of any help though. If I come across something in the near future I will update this post. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back