Contribute
Register

Test Drive: How to Create a Clover USB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody,

So I don't know if I did something wrong while installing Clover on my USB but nothing happens when I try rebooting with the USB drive.

If I go in the BIOS and select "UEFI only" for the boot type, then it boots in the BIOS and never goes past it.

What am I doing wrong? I don't really know what info to provide, please let me know and I will provide anything needed to resolve this.

Thanks a lot for your help
David

EDIT: Re-Installed Clover on the USB stick and it worked.

Hi everyone, I have a little problem.

I would like to install clover on my hdd, and generally to use that platform for both of my laptops.

Acer 5750G and Dell N7110. Right now I am using yosemite 10.10.3 on both of them installed with unibeast, but upgrading wasn't so easy because I had to backup everything with time machine and to reinstall yosemite again.

For alps touchpad I am using kext from vostro-for ML and it works great btw if anyone wants to know.

I can use on 5750g clover without any problems but the problem is with my N7110 Dell laptop.

It is known fact that my laptop support only MBR and does not have a UEFI at all. So I can only boot from mbar and no with GPT disks at all.

I learned that in this process I can use Hybrid mbr/gpt combination but I also learned that it is a very dirty configuration and that it can cause serious problems.

Is there any other way to install clover on BIOS and MBR only system ?.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I would like to install clover on my hdd, and generally to use that platform for both of my laptops.

Acer 5750G and Dell N7110. Right now I am using yosemite 10.10.3 on both of them installed with unibeast, but upgrading wasn't so easy because I had to backup everything with time machine and to reinstall yosemite again.

For alps touchpad I am using kext from vostro-for ML and it works great btw if anyone wants to know.

I can use on 5750g clover without any problems but the problem is with my N7110 Dell laptop.

It is known fact that my laptop support only MBR and does not have a UEFI at all. So I can only boot from mbar and no with GPT disks at all.

I learned that in this process I can use Hybrid mbr/gpt combination but I also learned that it is a very dirty configuration and that it can cause serious problems.

Follow directions in step 4 of http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html and use the Custom Install - BIOS only systems settings to install Clover. Then fix your config.plist for your hardware.

Thx mate, but still I need to discover whether I have to use Hybrid MBR or not.

Although this laptop guide is UEFi, you can use some information from it (eg. correct config.plist)...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

Although this laptop guide is UEFi, you can use some information from it (eg. correct config.plist)...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...oting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover-uefi.html

Thank you guys, I will combine everything from both threads and I hope that I will manage to install clover finally.

EDIT 1
Just find out that there is a complete UEFI bios released 1 month ago :) just when I received this laptop ( hand of fate maybe ). Actually first MAC is introduced on my birthday 24.01.1984 - My 5th birthday.

I am not sure if I can post link to modded bios in case that anyone else need it.

EDIT 2

God bless you, everything is working just fine, I tested Clover on my EXT USB3 HDD with USB3 kexts loaded from Clover and everything is awesome.

Right now I am making Time Machine backup and will dump drive with CCC in case something goes wrong.

Sleep is also working excellent ( didn't work on Unibeast method ) except for Wireless driver that can't load on startup but that is not important at all, I will install them with kext wizard.

I have my own DSDT and SSDT so installation went just fine with no errors.

So it is Dell 17R N7110 with i3 CPU 8 gb of RAM and HD 3000 and with ALPS touchpad.

If anyone need some help with this laptop PM me.

Wireless is Atheros AR5B195 ( no BT for now ).

Cheers friends

Last edited:
Hi. I am having trouble transferring my working USB clover boot over to an EFI partition. I have searched and tried several different ways for 4 days, trying to get it to boot. Is there a simple method to copy over the USB to the EFI partition to get it to boot? I keep getting boot 0af error, or boot0ss error. I have tried:

Making Clover bootable on Fusion Drive without UEFI

1. Format EFI partition of a FD member drive (1 is sufficient - I chose my main SSD) to FAT 32. Find the correct drive via diskutil list:

diskutil list
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdiskXs1

where X is the drive number of your SSD

2. Mount EFI partition:

sudo mkdir /Volumes/EFI
sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI

2. Copy clover from your working USB install. In case you installed it to the EFI Partition of the usb drive mount it to a different directory (see step 2, use e.g. EFIUSB). Otherwise just copy the files like:

sudo cp -r /Volumes/[USBDRIVE]/ /Volumes/EFI/

You can verify that everything went fine typing

ls /Volumes/EFI/

and check if boot file, EFI folder and also usr folder are present. If not manually copy them using terminal

sudo cp -r /Volumes/USBDRIVE/boot /Volumes/EFI/
sudo cp -r /Volumes/USBDRIVE/EFI /Volumes/EFI/
sudo cp -r /Volumes/USBDRIVE/usr /Volumes/EFI/

3. unmount EFI partition

sudo umount -f /Volumes/EFI/

4. Make the EFI partition bootable, using the Clover files from your working USB install. diskX is again your desired boot drive

fdisk440 -f boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdiskX
fdisk440 -f /Volumes/[USBDRIVE]/usr/standalone/i386/boot0ss -u -y /dev/rdiskX
dd if=/dev/rdiskXs1 count=1 bs=512 of=origbs
cp /Volumes/[USBDRIVE]/usr/standalone/i386/boot1f32alt newbs
dd if=origbs of=newbs skip=3 seek=3 bs=1 count=87 conv=notrunc
dd if=newbs of=/dev/rdiskXs1 count=1 bs=512
cp BOOT /Volumes/EFI/

But keep getting error directory not found from last line. Thank you!

Well,

"cp BOOT /Volumes/EFI/" is problematic.

First the boot file is lowercase "boot" (without the quotation marks).

Second the boot file would have to be in the current directory.

Good modding,
neil

Yep, tried that. And the file boot is in the EFI partition (as regular boot file, and as BOOT directory). I have also gotten an volume does not exist error. I have noticed that the files on the USB stay a generic blank icon (identifies as document file), while the files on the EFI have changed into a UNIX icon (and identifies as UNIX).

Hi. I am having trouble transferring my working USB clover boot over to an EFI partition. I have searched and tried several different ways for 4 days, trying to get it to boot. Is there a simple method to copy over the USB to the EFI partition to get it to boot?

I have never had a problem or used any of the terminal work you list. Easiest way is:
Create the Clover USB installer.
Install OS X
Open terminal and format the EFI partition of the drive you installed on-
Code:
sudo newfs_msdos -v EFI -F 32 /dev/rdisk0s1
mount the Clover USB EFI partition and copy the EFI folder to desktop, unmount USB EFI
run the same Clover install pkg used to create the USB pointed at the just formatted EFI partition
when complete, the EFI folder is mounted on the desktop.
Open the EFI partition in finder, delete the EFI folder.
Copy the EFI folder from the desktop to the EFI partition. unmount partition, eject Clover USB installer, remove it and reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back