Contribute
Register

Terminal not working - El Capitan 10.11.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly, but in Terminal I pasted /Volumes/Bash-image/bin/bash. Closed Terminal. Then I mounted the Zip file onto my desktop. When I double clicked the "bash" found in bash-image/bin Terminal opened up and all I get is...

login(17623,0x7fff75a34000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fe60d100810: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug
[Process completed]

Like before, Terminal just then sticks. I'm not able to hit enter, type anything etc.

HELP! Please. :)

Thanks.

Don't open the bash binary from finder, when the disk image is mounted and the terminal app is open go into preferences and set the shell path to /Volumes/bash-image/bin/bash as in screenshot in previous post. Cheers.

Okay, so I'm having NO luck with bin/bash. I have booted into Single User Mode -S and executed the following command...
sudo /usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /

It comes up with TONS of ERROR messages that FLY by. I believe it keeps saying "Unable to repair..." This went on for 1/2 hour until I finally just shut the machine off.

I'm not versed in SIP, but is this because of SIP that it won't allow me to repair permissions?

Lastly, on ALL the machines I've installed El Capitan, I have the same issue. Many different builds. Each has a non functional Terminal and NONE of the systems will allow printing. Each has the PAUSED message when attempting to print.

Help!!!

Where did you get your copy of El Capitan? It's odd that all of your computers have broken Terminal.

Can you SSH in to that computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back