Contribute
Register

Temporary Installation Guide for Haswell Systems [10.8.4 only]

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup: This worked for me on:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (There has been a lot of talk about if this motherboard will work - it works!)
Corsair Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card

On first install to a hard disk I did the NullCPU in Multibeast but then on boot up and I lost ethernet. I re-installed to the SSD, didn't do NullCPU or anything in Multibeast. Everything works, sound, ethernet, microphone. Only thing that doesn't work is the USB Wifi adapter I have installed. It won't boot for me unless the USB is plugged in - I don't know why. Anyone know why?

:thumbup: This worked for me on:

Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (There has been a lot of talk about if this motherboard will work - it works!)
Corsair Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card

On first install to a hard disk I did the NullCPU in Multibeast but then on boot up and I lost ethernet. I re-installed to the SSD, didn't do NullCPU or anything in Multibeast. Everything works, sound, ethernet, microphone. Only thing that doesn't work is the USB Wifi adapter I have installed. It won't boot for me unless the USB is plugged in - I don't know why. Anyone know why?

The Temporary Guide for Haswell-Mandatory MultiBeast settings are User DSDT/DSDT Free Installation and NullCPUPowerManagement, It wont boot from the hard drive as you didn't select NullCPU on your 2nd attempt.

The other MultiBeast settings are required to get Ethernet and Audio working from your hard drive, These are not shown in the guide as there are so many different motherboards/combinations. It is up to the User to find out which ones to install.

How To Know What To Install With MultiBeast

Bookman,

I don't know if this will help but it will be worth checking. Make sure that you do not have uefi selected as your boot drive in the Bios.

In my Z77 build it has to be set to the non uefi boot drive identity, ei., P0, P1, etc.

Hope this helps. I have a ASUS Z87 Deluxe Dual and a 4770K on the shelf waiting.

Thanks BluewaterVA. Still no luck. It doesn't seem the drive is bootable after running multi beast. There is no uefi boot drive at all and if I choose the non-uefi boot drive identity, it shows the "_" cursor then reverts back to the bios.

This guide worked. I completed each step as defined. However with my test system, I had to use "PCIRootUID=0" to boot into the installation app.

Test Bed:
i7-4770K
Gigabyte Z87M-D3H
8GB DDR3 1330MHz
Zotac GPU 9600 GT 512MB
Seagate 250GB scratch drive

Used UniBeast 2.0.2 and MultiBeast 5.4.3

Ethernet via Multibeast > > >Realtek - Lnx2Mac's RealtekRTL81xx v0.0.90
Audio - Multibeast ALC892 don't work with this Test Bed; Used "Easy Voodoo 2.8.0 Audio Installer V2 (Miikko).mpkg" - google for it.

And note that the system boots to the ML installation on the hard drive.

Thank you MacMan and TonyMac.

Good Modding
neil

Hi there

After the Vanilla support is up and running, do you know if I will have a problem logging into Icloud, facetime etc, If im using the same downloaded Mountain lion image installer (bought on same apple id) on two different computers. My example is using the same image on a probook build and now my new haswell build.

Thanks
Stuart

As long as you're running vanilla kernel, all services should work, unless you miss some step in enabling them or Apple change something breaking everything, as it did early this year (the famous iMessage bug).

All the best!

Audio - Multibeast ALC892 don't work with this Test Bed; Used "Easy Voodoo 2.8.0 Audio Installer V2 (Miikko).mpkg" - google for it.

That did the trick. Thanks a lot :D

Nice Guide, tonymacx86. Thanks a lot!

Please Note:
  • OS X 10.8.4 does not have support for onboard Intel HD Graphics 4600/5000. For full resolution and acceleration, use a discrete graphics card.

Does this mean that he integrated graphics work a bit or not at all?

Nice Guide, tonymacx86. Thanks a lot!

Does this mean that he integrated graphics work a bit or not at all?

There is no support in 10.8.4 for HD4600/5000 as tonymacx86 says to use a discrete card for full acceleration. Hopefully there will be support in the next/future updates of OS X.

I'm getting an error when trying to copy mach_kernel, anyone have any ideas? Details as follows:

cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/MountainLion/

I get error cp: /Volumes/MountainLion is not a directory. So I tried:

cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/MountainLion (without the final slash)

This seems to work but now I get error cp: /Volumes/MountainLion: No space left on device.

USB Drive is labeled as USB, Drive where OSx Mountain Lion is installed (purchased from app store) is called Mountain Lion. The install went smoothly until this point.

Here's my build:

Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
I7 4770k
16gb corsair vengence DDR3 1600
2 Samsung 250gb SSD (one for win7, one for mountainlion)
1 WD 2TB Black (storage for both OS, will format later once all is up and running)
EVGA 650Ti

Any thoughts out there? I've tried many combinations of the above code but I can't get it to copy so I haven't bothered going onto the next step yet

I'm getting an error when trying to copy mach_kernel, anyone have any ideas? Details as follows:

cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/MountainLion/

I get error cp: /Volumes/MountainLion is not a directory. So I tried:

cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/MountainLion (without the final slash)

This seems to work but now I get error cp: /Volumes/MountainLion: No space left on device.

USB Drive is labeled as USB, Drive where OSx Mountain Lion is installed (purchased from app store) is called Mountain Lion. The install went smoothly until this point.

Here's my build:

Gigabyte Z87x-UD3H
I7 4770k
16gb corsair vengence DDR3 1600
2 Samsung 250gb SSD (one for win7, one for mountainlion)
1 WD 2TB Black (storage for both OS, will format later once all is up and running)
EVGA 650Ti

Any thoughts out there? I've tried many combinations of the above code but I can't get it to copy so I haven't bothered going onto the next step yet
Try:
cp /Volumes/USB/mach_kernel /Volumes/Mountain\ Lion/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back