Contribute
Register

tdw's Haswell ATX: GA-Z87X-UD5H - Core i7-4770K - GTX 770

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, i am about to build my first computer.i was just wondering if your machine is capable of editing 1080p video with os x maverick? Because i want a gaming/editing computer and the windows side would be perfect for gaming and the mac side would be perfect for editing and is it a reliable machine ?:)

Nice thread tdw. I have a very similar build (i7-4770K, GA-Z87X-UD5H, GTX 660 Ti, 16 GB RAM and Mavericks 10.9.1)

I'm just dipping my toe in the water to overclock and having a problem I'm hoping you all with similar builds can help out with.

I started by setting my multiplier from 35 to 37 in the gigabyte BIOS, and setting the turbo boost as follows

1 core active from 39 to 41
2 core active from 39 to 41
3 core active from 38 to 40
4 core active from 37 to 39

I also increased vCore from 1.117 to 1.173 (+5%).

So far, so good. Now the problem. When I reboot and stress out the CPU (using handbrake), I note in HWMonitor (v6.0.1057) that the CPU is still only hitting 3.5 GHz or 3.9 GHz. Looks like the BIOS changes to the multiplier didn't take effect. However the vCore changes did.

I've rebooted and checked them 3-4 times and even tried disabling turbo mode and setting the base multiplier to 41. No effect.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone point out my stupidity for me? Many thanks.

My next debate is whether to use Windows 7 or 8 on secondary SSD....I've used Win 8 very little but hated the UI immediately :(

I agree the Windows 8 UI is awful, but you can change some settings to make it look like "normal" Windows. Mine now boots up to a lock/login screen, then goes straight to the desktop.

Hey, i am about to build my first computer.i was just wondering if your machine is capable of editing 1080p video with os x maverick? Because i want a gaming/editing computer and the windows side would be perfect for gaming and the mac side would be perfect for editing and is it a reliable machine ?:)

I don't see why it wouldn't be capable of editing 1080p video, although that's not something I do myself. The CPU I'm sure is fast enough and stability-wise it has been flawless. Speaking of stability though, I have realized that when you are building your own machine there can be numerous reasons why something is not stable. I was having blue screen of death crashes in Windows periodically, turns out one of my RAM sticks was faulty and I had to exchange it. Definitely test memory with memtest86. If your motherboard was faulty in some way (heaven forbid) that could also cause issues but mine seems to be fine.

Nice thread tdw. I have a very similar build (i7-4770K, GA-Z87X-UD5H, GTX 660 Ti, 16 GB RAM and Mavericks 10.9.1)

I'm just dipping my toe in the water to overclock and having a problem I'm hoping you all with similar builds can help out with.

I started by setting my multiplier from 35 to 37 in the gigabyte BIOS, and setting the turbo boost as follows

1 core active from 39 to 41
2 core active from 39 to 41
3 core active from 38 to 40
4 core active from 37 to 39

I also increased vCore from 1.117 to 1.173 (+5%).

So far, so good. Now the problem. When I reboot and stress out the CPU (using handbrake), I note in HWMonitor (v6.0.1057) that the CPU is still only hitting 3.5 GHz or 3.9 GHz. Looks like the BIOS changes to the multiplier didn't take effect. However the vCore changes did.

I've rebooted and checked them 3-4 times and even tried disabling turbo mode and setting the base multiplier to 41. No effect.

What am I doing wrong? Can someone point out my stupidity for me? Many thanks.

On my build I increased the base multiplier from 35 (default) to 43, and left all the core multipliers set to Auto. In OS X's "About This Mac" it now reports a speed of 4.3 GHz. In HWMonitor in OS X it reports 800 MHz when idle (this is Intel's SpeedStep kicking in) and then goes up to 4.3 GHz when under load. That's the way I wanted it, some people want it at 4.3 GHz all the time but I can't see the point. In Windows, it reports 3.5 GHz as the CPU speed (Computer Properties) but in CPU-Z again it runs at 800 MHz at idle or 4.3 GHz under load.

It should work for you. I use mine (i7-4770k, GA-Z87X-UD5H, GTX660 Ti, 16 GB RAM, Mavericks 10.9.1, Samsung 840 SSD) with Apple's Final Cut Pro X, and it has dramatically improved my quality of life when editing video. It rocks.

On my build I increased the base multiplier from 35 (default) to 43, and left all the core multipliers set to Auto. In OS X's "About This Mac" it now reports a speed of 4.3 GHz. In HWMonitor in OS X it reports 800 MHz when idle (this is Intel's SpeedStep kicking in) and then goes up to 4.3 GHz when under load. That's the way I wanted it, some people want it at 4.3 GHz all the time but I can't see the point. In Windows, it reports 3.5 GHz as the CPU speed (Computer Properties) but in CPU-Z again it runs at 800 MHz at idle or 4.3 GHz under load.

I re-set the BIOS to my pre-OC profile and then followed your lead. It worked. It must have had something to do with setting the core multipliers manually.

Thanks.

I'm doing a very similar build and following your lead, its my first hackintosh and my first post here. I put photos of my build in my album if anyone is interested, my goal is to upgrade from my Quad G5 for pro audio work.

Thanks for posting your nice build!

can you explain me how to disable graph card?
I have the same issue with Maps :(

can you explain me how to disable graph card?
I have the same issue with Maps :(

You need to go into the BIOS (press DEL on startup), then press F2, scroll right to the Peripherals tab, and set Intel Processor Graphics to Disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back