Contribute
Register

Taumaz's G5 Raider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Taumaz, and thanks for the credit on the hotswapper panel. Love the result.

Just modified my own designs now, but instead of going for eight I went for 7 as I wasn't sure all 8 would quite fit....looks like they do though!

You are spot on about getting the dimensions right though as even a 0.5mm change up/down or left/right makes a difference in how well the drives slide. Totally worth it though.

As mine is all acrylic instead of aluminium I have that 5mm space before the drive support rails, so I'll have to see if that makes a difference on noise.

Very nice! Do you like the Bitfenix fan controller?

That is awesome that it works with OSX!!! I am going to pick one up seeing that I have 4 specter fans, and its cheap. I hear people complain about the loudness of the specter pro fans, apparently it is due to the angle of the blades for more air movement. I have the regular ones, but haven't powered them up. I was going with a Bitfenix Shinobi case until I thought to do the hackintosh right with an old Powermac shell, so I scraped it for the backplate, motherboard tray, and all the fans! Thanks for the link to the software thread!

That is awesome that it works with OSX!!! I am going to pick one up seeing that I have 4 specter fans, and its cheap. I hear people complain about the loudness of the specter pro fans, apparently it is due to the angle of the blades for more air movement. I have the regular ones, but haven't powered them up. I was going with a Bitfenix Shinobi case until I thought to do the hackintosh right with an old Powermac shell, so I scraped it for the backplate, motherboard tray, and all the fans! Thanks for the link to the software thread!

I am a bit disappointed as well with the spectra pro fans being as they are 140mm and rated at only 22dba? but I think the way I have no clearance in-between the perforated front panel and then blowing towards all of the slots in my hard drive caddies it probably has created a lot of that noise? But I really have no other choice. I just keep them below 1000rpm and with the side cover on its a pretty decent balance between noise and cooling - I am not really super crazy about it being silent either.

Great to hear your thinking of the recon, just note you need to use a internal USB expansion in between the recon and your motherboard at the moment with 10.8.2 (not sure if this is permanent) to use phoebetria software. This is actually ok with me as i am also using the expansion card to power my bluetooth dongle - it hides it internally very nicely and frees up another usb slot as well.

Here is a link to the recommended expansion:

http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/case_accessories/iu01_usb_expansion

I see you managed to fit that powersupply up on the top shelf were the hard drives used to be. Do you think you could share your secrets about how you managed to get that to fit up there? I tried it and the psu was a bit to thick to fit.

I see you managed to fit that powersupply up on the top shelf were the hard drives used to be. Do you think you could share your secrets about how you managed to get that to fit up there? I tried it and the psu was a bit to thick to fit.

The PSU is 86mm thick, that's the normal height. If you place it in the lower part of the plate and cut a hole for the fan it works!

maybe my psu is non standard. I have been test fitting with an old powersupply from an hp computer, but I have a corsair cx550 coming that I know is standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back