Motherboard
ASUS IPIBL-LB
CPU
INTEL E2200
Graphics
EVGA nVidia 8400
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I got my hackingtosh up & running (it's a Mac Pro 3.1 per OSx) so I decided to upgrade from Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Retail to 10.6.8 Combined, then 10.6.8 Supplement. Well, I tried several times to DL 10.6.8 Combined but after about 25% of the data is downloaded the system freezes completely. No keyboard, no mouse, no nothing, just what could be best described as a screenshot of the download progress. So, I went to another computer, signed into my mu Apple account, searched and found SL 10.6.8 Combined .dmg and successfully downloaded it. I loaded it onto a USB stick, went back to hack and successfully mounted the stick and and got the pkg file out. Double clicked and immediately got a message that said I needed SL 10.6.7 before I could install 10.6.8. Even when I try to get the file using the Apple icon - software upgrade, 10.6.8 is the only animal found. I'm so confused. I really like to get the necessary upgrades in place so I can run my hack with the iBoot disk + PCIRootUID=1 every time.
Suggestions?
EDIT: Added screen shot after two hours of starting DL.

Attachments

• 1113161828.jpg
    1113161828.jpg
    614.5 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
UPDATE: After three+ hours of the box sitting there doing nothing I used the Ultimate MSWindows repair - I just pushed the power switch until the box shut down. I tried to restart using iBoot and selecting Snow Leopard as I have several times this weekend and I got a kernal panic each time. I tried with and without PCIRootUID=1 and -x with and without PCIRootUID=1, SO, am I going to have to reinstall 10.6.3 AGAIN? And again. And again. And again.(this would be the fourth time if so.)

Started over and got to SL 10.6.7 + Multibeast. I'm stopping there because 10.6.8 won't run. Unfortunately, on Apple's support site, all the later versions of 10.# say the require 10.6.8 first.

Still stuck at 10.6.7. The unibeast method requires 10.6.8 but I can't get 10.6.8 to run. Just a blank white screen with the Apple logo. I'm all set to install Yosemite 10.10.1 but can't until I get 10.6.8 going.

Still stuck at 10.6.7. The unibeast method requires 10.6.8 but I can't get 10.6.8 to run. Just a blank white screen with the Apple logo. I'm all set to install Yosemite 10.10.1 but can't until I get 10.6.8 going.

I doubt Yosemite will run on an Allendale 775 Pentium. Best bet is to stick with Snow Leopard.

You'll want to open "About This Mac" and "More System Info" and see if it recognizes your display correctly.

What video source are you using? DVI? VGA?

I will check that out. It's a VGA connection.

Per OS X it's a Mac Pro 3.1

Well, I tried again and got the same results. After an hour, still sitting on white screen with Apple logo. No kernel panic, no
scrolling of actions, no anything. 10.6.7 boots just fine with iBoot Legacy.What next? Wipe the hard drive and try from scratch? Give up completely? Buy a used Mac on ebay or Craig'd List?

0610172110.jpg

Well, I tried again and got the same results. After an hour, still sitting on white screen with Apple logo. No kernel panic, no
scrolling of actions, no anything. 10.6.7 boots just fine with iBoot Legacy.What next? Wipe the hard drive and try from scratch? Give up completely? Buy a used Mac on ebay or Craig'd List?

View attachment 260672
I used the -v switch. 10.6.8 is freezing at the line [ PCI configuration begin ].
10.6.7 loads as pretty as you please. What gives.
0613172044.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back