3. iBook
  4. Performa
  5. Plus
  6. Power Mac
  7. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
I’m a relative n00b, but I don’t see any reason why the System76 Gazelle laptop (sold as an Ubuntu workstation) wouldn't Hackintosh? I like the 1920x1080 matte screen (whoever decided 1366x768 made sense for a 15.6" laptop screen, or that glossy made sense period, I want to meet and have words with).

Is there anything I can ask before I plunk down the coin, to make sure? (Northbridge/southbridge? Etc.) $1132 ($79 less for the non-matte display) buys:

• Intel Core i7-3610QM ((4) 2.30GHz cores w/ hyperthreading; 6MB L3 cache)
  • Intel HD Graphics 4000 (which I know works in Mountain Lion courtesy Chimera)
  • 8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB (+$144 for 2x8GB)
  • 120 GB Intel 520 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive (-$14 for a 128GB Crucial M4; I tend to hold on to hardware longer than I should -- just revived a 2006 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro -- so the longevity of the Intel units is appealing)
  • 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
  • Intel Centrino 1030 - 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN + Bluetooth (I've read this works in a Hackintosh; +$20 for an Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth module, which I'm not sure will work with a Hackintosh and I don't know that I need BT 4 or Wi-Fi Direct)
  • Gigabit Ethernet and the usual panoply of USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, etc. ports, card reader, etc.
  • Multitouch trackpad (at least two fingers, all I ever use anyway)

I don’t know what Ethernet, sound, etc., controllers are present, I’ll email them and ask...

The equivalent MacBook Pro is $2,199, has a 1680x1050 matte display, maxes out at 8GB (I think; at least that's the highest you can configure it with on Apple's store), has about the same dimensions and weight, adds Thunderbolt and Firewire 800 ports, and has a second (NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M) video card in addition to the HD 4000 -- not sure I’d ever use the NVIDIA, I’m not a gamer...

Tempted... Not sure what to ask them before I pull the trigger, though, to maximize my chances that this is a compatible machine.

Further info re: the guts of this machine...

• Chipset: Intel Ivy-Bridge (rev 09)
  • Ethernet: Realtek RTL8111/8168B (rev 0a)
  • Audio: Intel High-Definition Audio
  • SATA: Intel Panther Piont 6 port SATA Controller [AHCI mde] (rev 04)

I've asked them to clarify which Ivy Bridge chipset it's using. I know the Realtek Ethernet will work. Not sure about the Intel audio?

I think it COULD, but like you said, I don't think the wifi is supported.

I think it COULD, but like you said, I don't think the wifi is supported.

I thought the Centrino 1030 is supported? "all you need is a core i series cpu and ... Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N ... 1030 ... which is pretty much all new laptops" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11670500&postcount=59) (But now that I dig into it more, looks like the 1030 may not be supported after all. Meh.)

More info, the actual chipset is the HM76; looks like it will work (except (possibly) for WiFi)...

I thought the Centrino 1030 is supported? "all you need is a core i series cpu and ... Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N ... 1030 ... which is pretty much all new laptops" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11670500&postcount=59) (But now that I dig into it more, looks like the 1030 may not be supported after all. Meh.)

More info, the actual chipset is the HM76; looks like it will work (except (possibly) for WiFi)...

Could always get a usb wifi card if NEEDED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back