Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7-7700K
Graphics
RX 570 + RTX 2070
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
I'm pretty frustrated, I've never seen anything quite like this. I installed successfully about two months ago and have been working with iBoot+10.6.6. I come to my computer today and find that it's rebooted and is frozen at the iBoot spinner. I reboot and same deal. So far I've done the following:

Reboot numerous times.
Replug power.
Unplug all USB.
Reseat memory.
Rearrange/replug SATA ports.
Restore Optimized BIOS settings.
Disable all extra SATA ports.
Reset every possible setting numerous times.
Ran memtest86.

I end up getting no farther. Each time the iBoot spinner loads about two positions and freezes. - -> \ -> | and there it stays. This is whether I'm booting off my hard drive or off of a freshly burned iBoot (which loads the image fine from CD, but then when it executes the image, the second phase of the CD boot, it freezes on the third position and stops). I'm befuddled because this worked for months.

All this said, it boots Linux off a USB stick and it boots Windows off an internal drive (secondary drive, not the one that has OS X).

I'm at a loss.

Unplugged all SATA ports except for the CD drive and it booted... narrowing it down to one of my 3 hard drives now.

One of my Western Digital Green 2.0TB drives was preventing iBoot from running. Unhooked and the system boots again. I was using the failed drive for Time Machine.

Incidentally, this is the 3rd recertified WD drive I've gotten at Fry's and have had fail within 3 months. Buyer beware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back