ATI5870
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all

Ok so my hackintosh needed new storage and in a rush I bought a 2TB green caviar drive.

When I first plugged it in all was fine I used disk utility to erase the drive as I need to be able to use the drive in a duel boot system.

But now when I go to boot my chimera freezes before it gets to the tony mac screen.

I have since read that the green caviar is not a good drive for a hackintosh but wondered if there is a fix?

The drive is just storage I don't boot from it.

If I unattached the drive the system loads up fine. As soon as I attach it, it freezes

Many thanks for reading this and any help in greatly appreciated.

Ohh and in still on 10.6.8

It freezes before I can get to that part.

I turn on system it goes through check, changes to ahci mode,

Them it says loading OS and freezes before the tony mac screen.

if i remember correctly you can't boot from drives larger than 2TB in OSX with the default or older bootloader.

I'm not trying to boot its just a storage drive.

When it's attached it freezes

sorry i didn't realize you weren't booting from it. you don't need to partition it at all if it's just a non-boot or storage drive (i have several 2-3TB drives i use for storage).

when your BIOS boots up, press the boot drive key (F12 on GB, F8 on Asus) and then select your proper drive, maybe your boot order got messed up.

Did you ever find the answer to this? I'm in the exact same boat: installed a 3TB WD Green drive and all was well for formatting. Had to leave town then came back a few weeks later to find that the machine wasn't booting. Spent 4 (arg) hours trying all the usual tricks only to remember the drive (didn't think of this because it had other storage drives before and they were never an issue). The machine boots off an SSD and the green was being attached as a storage drive.

Did you ever find the answer to this? I'm in the exact same boat: installed a 3TB WD Green drive and all was well for formatting. Had to leave town then came back a few weeks later to find that the machine wasn't booting. Spent 4 (arg) hours trying all the usual tricks only to remember the drive (didn't think of this because it had other storage drives before and they were never an issue). The machine boots off an SSD and the green was being attached as a storage drive.

If you're not using Chimera (Chameleon?) as a boot loader to load Windows and just using OSX you can add this to your org.chameleon.boot.plist and you should be able to then boot your system with your drive attached:

<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Clover bootloader does not have this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back