Graphics
EVGA iNvidia GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm trying to get 10.6 up and running on a Asus z77 board with an Intel 2700K chipset. I've set the mode to AHCI, optimized options in BIOS, and set boot priority to DVD then HDD. While doing this, the EUFI BIOS "sees" that there is a disk with 22mb in the DVD drive and a 640gb HDD. However, iBoot will not run - the BIOS eventually skips to the HDD, which has an old Win 7 install on it that I wish to install over. It was part of a multiboot system before, so I end up with grub error, but it's as if there is nothing in the DVD at all. I've tried burning the disk twice on two separate downloads from my MBP - what might I be doing wrong that is preventing the system from finding iBoot?

Thanks in advance.

I'm trying to get 10.6 up and running on a Asus z77 board with an Intel 2700K chipset. I've set the mode to AHCI, optimized options in BIOS, and set boot priority to DVD then HDD. While doing this, the EUFI BIOS "sees" that there is a disk with 22mb in the DVD drive and a 640gb HDD. However, iBoot will not run - the BIOS eventually skips to the HDD, which has an old Win 7 install on it that I wish to install over. It was part of a multiboot system before, so I end up with grub error, but it's as if there is nothing in the DVD at all. I've tried burning the disk twice on two separate downloads from my MBP - what might I be doing wrong that is preventing the system from finding iBoot?

Thanks in advance.

kulturloseramerikaner

This is somewhat a common issue w Z77 Boards -

Suggest you try to boot w a Linux Distro like SUSE 10 - and see if you can boot from it - you could have a bad sata cable.

Also
Suggest you download and make the LEGACY iBoot CD to see it this has any effect - we have had someone list the BIOS settings for these UEFI type MB's so others can follow
And you can also find a modifyied BIOS for some ASUS MB that users have used - look for an article on this by a user samisnake - these are recomended for making a hac w an ASUS MB - again depends upon model number.

Also please inform us as to which version of the OSX DVD you have - Apple release two versions of the OS 10.6.0 and 10.6.3 w a white cover and a cat.

You are not using your MBP DVD are you?
Of course we assume that you have tried it on Windows 7 and it works

ALso please list you "exact hardware description " place this in your signature Block under your User Settings .

So we know what type of hardware you have - Such items as CPU Intel P/N - MotherBaord Model Number - etc.

You may want to do a search of the forums for the problem you are having w iBoot.

Should get a hit.

Thank you for getting back.

The machine that I am trying to (also) Hac has been successfully running Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and Wintendo 7 now for about 6 months. Before trying to run iBoot I took the advice of disconnecting the other drives, soundcard, non-essential USB and pulling all but 4gb of memory. The drive that I'm trying to install OSX onto is an old install of 7 that I don't boot to since switching it to an SSD. I've tried both legacy and 3.0 (?) iBoot without success, but this is the same DVD drive that I used to install both 7 and Ubuntu so I know it works. The Snow Leopard CD has the white cover and the cat, but says it's only 10.6.

I'll give the samisnake posts a try; I put my info in as far as hardware while setting up my account but it doesn't seem to be showing up so I'll look into that too.

Thanks again,

K

Thanks in advance.

Try using the app called Burn - http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html
works for me.

OK, update time:

I was able to get iBoot-Legacy to work by using Disk Utility on my MBP to burn and using a DVD rather than CD. I went through the install process, and the system rebooted after about a half hour as expected. It seemed to go through the normal startup, then suddenly, it rebooted. I tried to boot again using the verbose tag, and right before it rebooted, it stalled at the line
systemShutdown false
Previous Shutdown Cause: 3

I can't seem to find anything on here about that... What should my next step(s) be?

Thanks,

-K

EDIT: After a bit more digging around on here, I tried to boot again using the GraphicsEnabler=No flag, and was able to run! I'm currently downloading UpdateCombo 10.6.8 though that will probably be the last thing I do this evening; need to get some​ sleep before work...

Update time again:

I tried running the 10.6.8 Combo after downloading, which resulted in kernel panic :cry:. It said that the kernel IP couldn't be addressed or something to that effect. At least I know what that looks like now, my MBP has never had one...

Rebooting gave me the white screen with the gray logo, then would hang. I'm pondering just the 10.6.7 combo update as I've heard of 10.6.8 doing bad things with an i7 processor, then jump to ML once I get that stable. Any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks,

-K

Update time again:

I tried running the 10.6.8 Combo after downloading, which resulted in kernel panic :cry:. It said that the kernel IP couldn't be addressed or something to that effect. At least I know what that looks like now, my MBP has never had one...

Rebooting gave me the white screen with the gray logo, then would hang. I'm pondering just the 10.6.7 combo update as I've heard of 10.6.8 doing bad things with an i7 processor, then jump to ML once I get that stable. Any thoughts on this approach?

Thanks,

-K

-K

bad news - your MB is or has a intel Z77 chip - this is not compatible with the standard Apple Kernel - you will need a modified kernel which I have no idea where to get it and "WE" are not allowed to discuss or post due to FORUM RULES -http://www.tonymacx86.com/faq.php - so your attempts to get this running although admirable are fruitless.

One of our moderatores - Going Bald has attempted this w a Z77 and had lots of issues - KP etc - and was not able to use the Apple App store to log into.
Which if you going to go to ML is required. I am sorry to break this news to you but i wanted you to know so your time could be spent better elsewhere.

Well, I am coming to you from a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my desktop!

I didn't need any modified kernel - I just installed the 10.6.7 comboupdate rather than the 10.6.8. It seems to give me a stable system, but there are definitely quirks to iron out. My intention is to continue to upgrade through Mountain Lion as it seems to have the best compatibility with my hardware according to what I've read here and elsewhere. Problem is that the App Store tells me that my purchase of ML cannot be completed because "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion requires a Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor." I do indeed have an i7, I've just not been able to get it recognized as such yet; though System Profiler tells me that I have a Mac Pro with a quad-core processor, it says in "About this Mac" that I have "3.41 GHz unknown" processor. Also, I had a weird issue where I could not log into the forum using Safari, but I was able to download and install Firefox which got me in just fine. I've run Multibeast a couple times now and it only seemed to want to install the driver for my NIC; what should I do to get the processor correctly recognized so that I can continue on to 10.8? App Store seems to only have this as an issue, so I'm hopeful at least that once the processor is recognized correctly I will be able to continue. It's worth a shot anyhow.

Thank you in advance.

-K

Well, I am coming to you from a fresh install of Snow Leopard on my desktop!

I didn't need any modified kernel - I just installed the 10.6.7 comboupdate rather than the 10.6.8. It seems to give me a stable system, but there are definitely quirks to iron out. My intention is to continue to upgrade through Mountain Lion as it seems to have the best compatibility with my hardware according to what I've read here and elsewhere. Problem is that the App Store tells me that my purchase of ML cannot be completed because "OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion requires a Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor." I do indeed have an i7, I've just not been able to get it recognized as such yet; though System Profiler tells me that I have a Mac Pro with a quad-core processor, it says in "About this Mac" that I have "3.41 GHz unknown" processor. Also, I had a weird issue where I could not log into the forum using Safari, but I was able to download and install Firefox which got me in just fine. I've run Multibeast a couple times now and it only seemed to want to install the driver for my NIC; what should I do to get the processor correctly recognized so that I can continue on to 10.8? App Store seems to only have this as an issue, so I'm hopeful at least that once the processor is recognized correctly I will be able to continue. It's worth a shot anyhow.

Thank you in advance.

-K

-K

Ok - now that you have it on SL 10.6.7 - can you create and log into the Apple App store w that hardware .....

Purchase Mountain Lion - and download it !

Let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back