Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
After creating my bootable USB drive using the clover installation guide, this is what I see onscreen right before my system force restarts:

IMG_0110.jpg

I didn't boot with any boot flags other then booting into verbose mode. This is my first time using clover and I'm updating form OS X 10.10 Yosemite which was installed using chimera. Any ideas as to what I can use to get to the installer?

Use the arrow keys on the clover bootloader and select options and enter them.

Thanks, I got to the installer with nv_disabler=1 as my only boot flag. Since I'm upgrading from Yosemite to El Cap and I don't want to format my drive as the guide would suggest, should I go through the installer without doing anything else?

I think you have two options:
  1. Forget the USB and get Clover working on your existing Yosemite installation. (You can install Clover and use the EFI/CLOVER/ contents from your USB drive, but don't boot from the USB, just boot from Clover on the hard drive). Then install El Capitan from the App Store.
  2. Back up your Yosemite install, do a fresh install of El Capitan, and use Migration Assistant to move the data from the Yosemite backup to the new El Capitan install
Personally I had better luck with #2, probably because I had some cruft in my Yosemite install.

Okay, I think I'm going to got with option number 2. I'm going to assume a Time Machine backup wouldn't work in this instance, so I think I'm just going to put all my important files on my internal hard drive. Wish me luck!

A Time Machine backup does work -- you can point Migration Assistant at a Time Machine backup to pull your files from.

I suggest you have it copy your user account and applications, but not the system configuration type stuff unless you really think you can't reproduce it.

I was able to boot from the usb installer and did the installation to my ssd. However, now I can't boot from the usb drive using F8. Black screen...cursor blinking. Disconnected all the other drives and other stuff...still no luck. Why wouldn't the usb boot at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back