Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> System Restarts With Anything Above cpus=6 (High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed this line in my boot log. Seeing as it affects power management, could it have some bearing on my current situation?

Code:
MSR 0xE2 is locked, PM patches will be turned on

Bumping again.

Did another fresh install and used the CLOVER folder from this guide since we have nearly identical hardware, plus both using High Sierra. Still getting random restarts.

At this point, I've tried the following:
  • New PSU
  • With and without graphics card
  • With and without CUDA
  • With and without Nvidia Web Driver
  • With and without wifi adapter card
  • Multiple SMBIOS settings
  • Multiple FakeCPUID settings
  • AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, OsxAptioFix3Drv.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv.efi, osxaptiofix2drv-free2000.efi, all one at a time.
  • Updating Clover to latest version
  • Enabling Native Power Management following guide
  • Updated BIOS to F10
  • Multiple fresh installs, including to other SSD
  • Followed different guides from successful builds
  • Numerous boot flag combinations
  • Tested RAM with memtest
  • Booted machine with single stick of RAM/different configurations
I did notice that I had to copy and paste the BOOT folder from the installer drive to the High Sierra drive after installing, which isn't in the guide anywhere, but it didn't seem to work otherwise. Could this have messed something up?

I don't know what else to do, and I don't know of any way to trace these restarts. I've tried watching the console and HW Monitor with all eight cores on and I never see anything abnormal...temperatures are all fine, as well as power draw.

The computer is relatively stable at cpus=6, but does still restart from time to time. The longest I've gone without the boot flag is maybe 12 minutes.

I kind of hope I'm overlooking something obvious that someone on here will point out to me.

Well, just tried new RAM and that didn't do anything for me either.

I've noticed that messing with the RAM frequency settings in the BIOS can drastically affect how long the system stays up, so maybe this is a clue? It's why I tried a different brand, but it didn't make a difference.

Someone please give me some ideas here :banghead:

Finally solved this by messing around with my voltage and frequency settings in the BIOS. I changed a few things and I'm not sure what specifically solved it yet, especially since I had experimented with changing cpu and ram frequency already. I'll investigate more in the coming days and post the results. For now, just very relieved this is fixed. System running very stably now!

Some screenshots of the stuff I changed:

IMG_20190827_171054.jpg

IMG_20190827_171116.jpg
IMG_20190827_171127.jpg
IMG_20190827_171109.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back