Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> System Restarts With Anything Above cpus=6 (High Sierra)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AORUS Z390 Pro Wifi
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I just got High Sierra up and running on my new machine, however I've run into a major issue, which is that my system seems not to be stable unless I use the boot flag cpus=6 (or 1-5). Above 6, or without the flag, the computer will restart after about 30 seconds of being logged in.

I would think this is some kind of power management issue, but I don't how to figure that out for sure. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 102
  • config.plist
    6.8 KB · Views: 91
Quick update:

Removing slide=0 from my boot flags seems to make things work a little better when there is no cpus flag, as my system did not reboot until a few minutes in without it.

I checked my console log after the computer rebooted to see if I could find anything, and this is the last message before the computer restarted:

Code:
com.apple.appkit.xpc.openAndSavePanelService[458]: BUG in libdispatch client: kevent[mach_recv] monitored resource vanished before the source cancel handler was invoked

Update:

I've tried a lot of different things at this point, but nothing has helped too much.

I put a new power supply in the machine, but no change.

I also did a fresh install on a new SSD, but no change there either.

Got rid of CUDA, thinking it might be a graphics issue, but no change. Taking out the graphics card and using integrated graphics didn't help either.

Also tried following the native power management guide, with no change.

I've tried numerous different kexts, boot flags, and drivers, but nothing has really helped. The only thing that has been making the system more stable is to keep the cpu cores low. cpus=4 typically does not have random restarts, cpus=6 is a little less stable, and no cpus flag causes a crash almost right away.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Some more things I've tried:
  • Updated BIOS to F10
  • Tried other SMBIOS settings
  • Created USB SSDT
  • Changed BIOS settings to match successful builds
Still no idea why this is happening :(

Bumping again in hopes someone might have a suggestion.

I did notice one strange thing last night...if I take out my PCI wifi adapter card, the machine stays up longer with all 8 cores. It did still reboot eventually, but stayed up noticeably longer.

Is your i9-9900k supported in High Sierra ? The processor release date is around the end of the OS.
You could try a FakeCPUID and see if that helps.

Is your i9-9900k supported in High Sierra ? The processor release date is around the end of the OS.
You could try a FakeCPUID and see if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't seem to work. I just tried a few different ones and got the same result--if I don't limit the cpu cores, the computer always restarts around 3.5 minutes after logging in.

I'm uploading my current EFI/CLOVER folder since I've changed some things since my first post.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 93
Your /kexts folder is wrong.
You have kexts in both /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13.
The fact that /10.13 is your highest folder tells that your Clover is old too.

Your /drivers64UEFI folder is wrong too.
You have both HFSPlus.efi and VBoxHfs-64.efi which do the same job and are mutually exclusive.

Your /kexts folder is wrong.
You have kexts in both /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.13.
The fact that /10.13 is your highest folder tells that your Clover is old too.

Your /drivers64UEFI folder is wrong too.
You have both HFSPlus.efi and VBoxHfs-64.efi which do the same job and are mutually exclusive.

Okay, thanks.

Removed kexts from 10.13 folder. Also tested using just HFSPlus.efi, then just VBoxHfs-64.efi. The problem persists though, regardless of what I do.

I'll try updating Clover next.

Updated Clover and still getting restarts.

I did notice that, after updating Clover, it put my drivers in the folder EFI/drivers/UEFI, but when downloading from Clover Configurator it puts them in EFI/drivers64UEFI. What's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back