Contribute
Register

System randomly rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest news here is that I started Clover Configurator and did as it suggested and updated my version of Clover to the latest and restarted --- and now I can't boot the system at all. I can't get past Clover, which tells me it has a config.plist problem and can't present me with a list of UEFI drives to select from. So right now, the system is bricked and I can't figure out at way back in.

I can reboot from the Flash drive, but that doesn't get me very far (I'm typing this on a macbook).

Any ideas how I get from a latest version of Clover boot screen back to my Mojave, which I was making progress on Edhawk's worklist?

Thanks.
latest versions of clover require opencore elements in the config.plist, these needs to be added before you reboot

Create a USB installer using Clover_r5119, copy attached. Use a spare/empty Usb drive, doesn't matter which size as you will only be using the EFI partition (200MB).

Format the USB using Disk UTILITY as shown below:

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 12.58.24.png Disk Utility - Erase USB screen.

Follow these steps when running the Clover installer:

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.06.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.20.png Enter password if requestedScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.33.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.40.png Select Continue buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.49.png Select 'Change Install Location...' buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.40.59.png Select 'CLover'USB and then Continue ButtonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.41.08.pngSelect 'Customise' button

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.54.39.png Only ensure the top two options are selected, then select Install
Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.42.16.png Enter password and 'Install Software' buttonScreenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.53.40.png Close Clover installer once installation completed.

Screenshot 2021-02-12 at 22.53.59.png You should have two partition icons on your desktop, similar to these.

Open the EFI Partition, as this is where Clover will have just been installed.

Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.27.png EFI partition contains a single EFI folder, open it.Screenshot 2020-02-04 at 13.11.36.png EFI folder contains 'Boot' & 'CLOVER' folders.

Replace the 'CLOVER' folder in the EFI partition with the one I provided below.

This CLOVER folder contains the settings outlined above as well as the kexts, drivers theme and SSDT's mentioned previously. This CLOVER folder is based on a system using an i7-4770K with a Z97-UD5H motherboard so it should be very similar to your system.

Boot your Haswell system with the new USB.

Attachments

• Clover_r5119.zip
    8 MB · Views: 28
  • CLOVER.zip
    4.3 MB · Views: 36
Well, some progress, but not success yet.

I have booted to my old copy of Mavericks (Via Clover 5106 on a memory stick) on a separate SSD and from there implemented the changes that Edhawk sent me, using Clover Configurator and copying kexts and SSDTs to the right places.

The boot progresses slowly (White Apple, White progress bar) and then stops at the end. Screen black. No further progress.

I will get boot log.

OK. Many thanks. I'm on it. Will report back.

Create a USB installer using Clover_r5119, copy attached. Use a spare/empty Usb drive, doesn't matter which size as you will only be using the EFI partition (200MB).

View attachment 521813 Disk Utility - Erase USB screen.

View attachment 521814 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521815 Enter password if requestedView attachment 521816 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521817 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521818 Select 'Change Install Location...' buttonView attachment 521819 Select 'CLover'USB and then Continue ButtonView attachment 521820Select 'Customise' button

View attachment 521824 Only ensure the top two options are selected, then select Install
View attachment 521821 Enter password and 'Install Software' buttonView attachment 521822 Close Clover installer once installation completed.

View attachment 521823 You should have two partition icons on your desktop, similar to these.

View attachment 521825 EFI partition contains a single EFI folder, open it.View attachment 521826 EFI folder contains 'Boot' & 'CLOVER' folders.

This CLOVER folder contains the settings outlined above as well as the kexts, drivers theme and SSDT's mentioned previously. This CLOVER folder is based on a system using an i7-4770K with a Z97-UD5H motherboard so it should be very similar to your system.

Just tried that and a similar result -- a stream of diagnostics and a blank screen. But it says it's booting from Clover 5102, when I have just installed 5119 on the stick, according to your instruction. Bit puzzled, pobably done something daft. Will persist and report again.
Thanks again, Edhawk,

View attachment 521813 Disk Utility - Erase USB screen.

View attachment 521814 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521815 Enter password if requestedView attachment 521816 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521817 Select Continue buttonView attachment 521818 Select 'Change Install Location...' buttonView attachment 521819 Select 'CLover'USB and then Continue ButtonView attachment 521820Select 'Customise' button

View attachment 521824 Only ensure the top two options are selected, then select Install
View attachment 521821 Enter password and 'Install Software' buttonView attachment 521822 Close Clover installer once installation completed.

View attachment 521823 You should have two partition icons on your desktop, similar to these.

View attachment 521825 EFI partition contains a single EFI folder, open it.View attachment 521826 EFI folder contains 'Boot' & 'CLOVER' folders.

Ah, daylight!!

Still a splurge of disgnostics, but I guess that's a Clover option.

I am now booted to Mojave.

I will check out features and functions and stability and report back.

(I made the mistake of missing the customise instruction, then spotting it and rerunning Clover install WITHOUT reformattting the stick).

(I was sure I posted again, but it is not on this thread.
I have it all working now, thanks entirely to Edhawk.

It boots from the Mojave disk and all is stable.

One odd thing: I get a stream of diagnostics, about three screensfull, during booting. Any ideas how to stop that?

It's called booting in 'Verbose mode', the text is shown due to a boot argument in the config.plist (-v). This is added to help troubleshoot boot issues. Removing the -v boot argument from the config.plist will remove the text.

It's called booting in 'Verbose mode', the text is shown due to a boot argument in the config.plist (-v). This is added to help troubleshoot boot issues. Removing the -v boot argument from the config.plist will remove the text.
Thanks, Edhawk.
So glad you put in the time and effort to help me. I can't see that I could have got to the same point with just my own skills.
Over and out.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back