Contribute
Register

System massively slowed down by Safari (or Chrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the same thing. For me, its Nvidia Web Drivers issue. Earlier I used Intel HD 630 integrated graphics with High Sierra and it worked a lot better than now, when I purchased GTX 960 graphics card. BTW I use 4k monitor.

I had the same with Chrome and Firefox and solved it also by disabling hardware acceleration in the browsers settings. Chrome runs a lot faster now, but has some glitches when rendering some demanding pages (e.g. Angular5 app I'm developing atm). No problems or changes with Safari though. Using a 4K Samsung monitor with scaling.
Dude...you're a legend. This is the solution for me.

My Safari will lag somewhat during normal usage, but the whole screen will freeze for a second or two if Safari is doing something heavy, or quitting from/closing a busy tab/page. Dsiabling Canvas Accelerated Drawing and Full Page Accelerated Drawing totally solved the issue.

Mine was even worse. My mackintosh froze and logged out sporadically. I disabled “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”. So far so good.
  1. Close Safari
  2. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  3. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
  4. Then hit return
  5. Now relaunch Safari
  6. You will see the Debug menu in Safari’s menubar
  7. Click Debug
  8. Select Drawing/Compositing Flags
  9. Choose “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”.
  10. Now check to see if your problem is fixed.
https://macreports.com/mac-freezing-safari-might-cause/

My Safari will lag somewhat during normal usage, but the whole screen will freeze for a second or two if Safari is doing something heavy, or quitting from/closing a busy tab/page. Dsiabling Canvas Accelerated Drawing and Full Page Accelerated Drawing totally solved the issue.

I found a solution which is once and for all. I use Radeon RX 580 instead of Nvidia graphics cards.

https://developer.apple.com/development-kit/external-graphics/
  • Sonnet external GPU chassis with Thunderbolt 3 and 350W power supply
  • AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB graphics card
  • Belkin USB-C to 4-port USB-A hub

Mine was even worse. My mackintosh froze and logged out sporadically. I disabled “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”. So far so good.
  1. Close Safari
  2. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  3. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
  4. Then hit return
  5. Now relaunch Safari
  6. You will see the Debug menu in Safari’s menubar
  7. Click Debug
  8. Select Drawing/Compositing Flags
  9. Choose “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”.
  10. Now check to see if your problem is fixed.
https://macreports.com/mac-freezing-safari-might-cause/
Wow it's a life changer !
Thanks a lot !

I am having a horrible experience with macOS 10.13.3 and the Supplemental Update. The newest version of the Nvidia drivers that install-nvidia.sh would offer me was .106 (I think). That worked with 10.13.3 but in ioquake3 I already had some micro stuttering. I have NvidiaGraphicsFixup, Lilu and Shiki installed.

I then installed the Supplemental Update. Problem is that since then .106 was "blocked" it seems. In the Nvidia system preferences panel the Nvidia drivers where active but apparently not loaded. It also said "not compatible" next to it. "About this Mac" showed the "Display 8 MB" thing as if there was no driver.

So I installed .161 via the NVidia panel. Now I got my graphics card back but across the board, in League of Legends and ioquake3 (these are my testing cases), I get HORRIBLE micro stutters. In Firefox watching YouTube videos leaving full screen just gives micro freezes. What the hell is this?

So, do I now re-install with 10.13.3 and don't install the Supp Update? Or should I even go back to 10.13.2? Problem is that my UniBeast stick is based on 10.13.3 from the App Store, and I can't just go to something earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
You all are awesome - disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome worked for me!

EDIT: I'm getting some flickering in Chrome. It's actually happening as I type this - the bottom half of this webpage is flickering. But the worst of it is Gmail - as I move my mouse around, rectangular "blocks" on screen flicker in different colors, making it pretty unusable. Any thoughts?

EDIT 2: I reverted back to an earlier version of Nvidia's web drivers using Nvidia-update and re-enabled hardware acceleration in Chrome. Chrome is not as responsive, but it's still pretty good, and more importantly, the flickering is gone and Gmail is now usable.

Last edited:
looks like nvidia fixed their performance on the 30.107.

I updated the driver via Terminal

Code:
bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 387.10.10.10.30.107

No more slow performance. Smooth AF :headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back