Contribute
Register

System massively slowed down by Safari (or Chrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this has definitely something to do with High Sierra itself, as there are several threads on the net about graphic related software that address rendering issues both on Intel and other graphics hardware. Regarding browsers it is a lot better for me in Firefox and Safari than in Chrome, but not comparable to Sierra though.

having the same issue. safari takes about 30 seconds to close all tabs. have 64GB of ddr4 ram, 6700k skylake, gtx1080, on 10.3.1

i too think it's nvidia's web drivers.

@movingincirc, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Yeah... I made a new build with 10.13.2 installed on a new M.2 SSD and the problem is still there. It's not as bad as in my original post (and previous build) but I can clearly see the drop in performance after Safari has been opened for more than few minutes. If anyone comes across the solution I'll be more than happy to hear it :)
Also, I have to mention - I own the newest Macbook Pro and have NO issues with it whatsoever...

so i found that this is very similar to the problem i had previously. if your computer sits idle for a few minutes, it'll start to slow down. in previous macOS versions, the slowdown only lasted for a few minutes before returning to normal. in high sierra, it looks like the slowdown lasts until next reboot.

the workaround is to leave a video playing looping in VLC at all times.

What changed between Sierra and High Sierra is that Windowserver is now Metal 2 based instead whatever it was before, probably OpenGL. I suspect that Nvidia drivers just don't play well with the new metal-based Windowserver. I hope Nvidia will figure it out but I don't think macOS is a priority for them.

so i found that this is very similar to the problem i had previously. if your computer sits idle for a few minutes, it'll start to slow down. in previous macOS versions, the slowdown only lasted for a few minutes before returning to normal. in high sierra, it looks like the slowdown lasts until next reboot.

the workaround is to leave a video playing looping in VLC at all times.

When you say 'idle', I'm assuming you don't also include 'sleep mode' do you?
I'm running into this issue big time, and not sure how to work around it other than constantly having to shut down and restart every time I want to use my computer.
Is it a matter of replacing with a different GPU?

Just to chime in same issue here - started with High Sierra update. 980ti and 2 Dell 4k monitors. All sorts of strange graphics pauses in Chrome and Safari, sometimes even making VLC videos choppy - which I have never seen happen before.

When you say 'idle', I'm assuming you don't also include 'sleep mode' do you?
I'm running into this issue big time, and not sure how to work around it other than constantly having to shut down and restart every time I want to use my computer.
Is it a matter of replacing with a different GPU?
i never put my hackintosh to sleep.

I had exactly the same symptoms. After a reboot, the system would be fine for awhile. But eventually, while using Safari, I'd get the spinning cursor followed by a restart. Every day the same thing.
This is what I did to fix it. (I have a 960 video card) (Compliments of theairshark on reply#5)

1. Close Safari
  2. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  3. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
  4. Then hit return
  5. Now relaunch Safari
  6. You will see the Debug menu in Safari’s menubar
  7. Click Debug
  8. Select Drawing/Compositing Flags
  9. Choose “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”.
  10. Now check to see if your problem is fixed.
Actually, I only disabled Full Page Accelerated Drawing

It's been 24 hours with 0 slowdowns or reboots. I was actually beginning to hate my hackintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back