Contribute
Register

System massively slowed down by Safari (or Chrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG STRIX B360-I Gaming
CPU
i5-8500
Graphics
RX 570
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I made a new hackintosh with High Sierra 10.13.1, and everything is running fine except one thing - Whenever I start Safari (or Chrome) the performance of the whole system gradually goes bad - browsing gets unresponsive, youtube or any other videos become choppy and laggy, but apart from browsing the whole system suffers - everything becomes unresponsive and laggy (Mission Control, scrolling through Dock, clicking reacts with delay, etc.)... As soon as I quit the browser the system immediately goes back to full performance. Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks!

How much ram do you have? Have you checked the activity monitor to see how much is being used? Browsers use a lot of ram, it could be that?

I have the same issue. Not sure how to test if RAM is behaving different in my Hackintosh vs real Mac. But something is definitly fishy (see multiple threads about this topic).

Hi Paxos, I hadn't meant to test the ram, but rather, it may be that the OP is running out of ram when the browsers are open if they don't have much. 8GB + should be fine.

I'm also having issues with my system being laggy and slow, which is why I'm loitering around the forums. When I read the OP's post I thought it sounded more sever than the other posts, and in my experience some of those issues can be present when you don't have enough ram.

Mine was even worse. My mackintosh froze and logged out sporadically. I disabled “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”. So far so good.
  1. Close Safari
  2. Open the Terminal app (Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
  3. Enter the following command: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeInternalDebugMenu 1
  4. Then hit return
  5. Now relaunch Safari
  6. You will see the Debug menu in Safari’s menubar
  7. Click Debug
  8. Select Drawing/Compositing Flags
  9. Choose “Disable Canvas Accelerated Drawing” and “Disable Full Page Accelerated Drawing”.
  10. Now check to see if your problem is fixed.
https://macreports.com/mac-freezing-safari-might-cause/

Hi Paxos, I hadn't meant to test the ram, but rather, it may be that the OP is running out of ram when the browsers are open if they don't have much. 8GB + should be fine.

I'm also having issues with my system being laggy and slow, which is why I'm loitering around the forums. When I read the OP's post I thought it sounded more sever than the other posts, and in my experience some of those issues can be present when you don't have enough ram.

Yes, it somehow "feels" like an RAM or Graphics Driver Issue. Something is leaking over time. But I don't really know where to go to debug it.

@paxos, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Guys, it's definitely not RAM - first of all I got plenty of memory (16GB DDR4); and second, everything was running fine in Sierra - I did not have this problem at all. I started having it after I after I installed High Sierra.

Activity Monitor doesn't show any useful info, other than the fact that Safari and KernelTask are taking up most of the CPU and Memory...

I repeat - everything was working fine in Sierra, but in High Sierra it's like I'm running Pentium 2 while browser is on.

Do you have a 4K display? I have read in a few posts that it may be due to scaling the display with a 4K monitor. I have a 4K display and I have not really wanted to turn off scaling( It looks bad, and it reduces how much you can fit on a screen), but I am going to try it out today. So far, it does appear to be running a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back