Contribute
Register

System massively slowed down by Safari (or Chrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I think I have the same issue. System is very fast in day-to-day operations but UI animations are very slow. Most problems appear with Chrome – e.g. video lags for a second while audio is continuing. It started when I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra. Nothing changed hardware-wise. (and yes, the web drivers are installed and active)

My system
High Sierra 10.13.1
3,5GHz Intel Core i5
32GB 2133MHz DDR4 Ram
256GB NVME
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
2x LG 4K Monitor
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming G7

Thinking of going back to Sierra!?

Any updates on this?

FYI: Installed Sierra 10.12.6 and problem is gone.

(and yes, the web drivers are installed and active)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

Maybe it has to do with Nvidia Web Drivers? I know there has been similar issues with Web Drivers for Pascal / Maxwell not being up to snuff? I've had some of these same issues as well, mostly with Chrome & Discord where my system goes down to a crawl after awhile, where as previously i never had these issues with the same card on regular Sierra. I thought it was just me, being on a completely unsupported platform, X299. Is everyone who replied to this thread on Nvidia Graphics?

Can anyone confirm if this problem is fixed with 10.11.2 update and the new Nvidia drivers?

Can anyone confirm if this problem is fixed with 10.11.2 update and the new Nvidia drivers?

The problem still persists. I don't believe this problem is due to a Hackintosh build, more so a general High Sierra problem, as this problem is widespread on the apple forums - even on MacBooks with integrated Intel graphics.

This issue only or Maxwell and Pascal ?

I have to say, after testing this for my self. I have seen improvement (mind you its not as fast as Sierra yet) but there is definitely a speed boost here when loading multiple tabs in safari and chrome the draw speed.

I have tested it thoroughly (I have a clone image of 10.13.1) before testing 10.13.2 just to jog my memory of how slow it was.

I used the webdriver.sh script (as the normal installer no longer works and gives an error on boot) and I had to use the Mac App Store to update, because the combo update gives a different build number which the web driver doesn't like. but it works a little better.

@lunacory as far as I can tell this is a pascal issue

@lunacory as far as I can tell this is a pascal issue

I have a GTX970 so I don't think this is limited to Pascal. I have also read reports of older iMacs and Macbooks suffering the same issues, I think this is a more general problem with Nvidia drivers in High Sierra.

I have a GTX970 so I don't think this is limited to Pascal. I have also read reports of older iMacs and Macbooks suffering the same issues, I think this is a more general problem with Nvidia drivers in High Sierra.

GTX760 (Kepler) works well here. My recent monitor is a 1920*1200 one, or maybe it wouldn't OK with 4K monitor.

Nothing changed here with 10.13.2 and updated Nvidia drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back