Contribute
Register

System massively slowed down by Safari (or Chrome)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the same with Chrome and Firefox and solved it also by disabling hardware acceleration in the browsers settings. Chrome runs a lot faster now, but has some glitches when rendering some demanding pages (e.g. Angular5 app I'm developing atm). No problems or changes with Safari though. Using a 4K Samsung monitor with scaling.

You're not alone. Its probably a video driver thing, but until they update it you'd be happy to know that the new Firefox runs really smooth.

Do you have a 4K display? I have read in a few posts that it may be due to scaling the display with a 4K monitor. I have a 4K display and I have not really wanted to turn off scaling( It looks bad, and it reduces how much you can fit on a screen), but I am going to try it out today. So far, it does appear to be running a lot better.

Nope, just a regular 1080p :/

I had the same with Chrome and Firefox and solved it also by disabling hardware acceleration in the browsers settings. Chrome runs a lot faster now, but has some glitches when rendering some demanding pages (e.g. Angular5 app I'm developing atm). No problems or changes with Safari though. Using a 4K Samsung monitor with scaling.

I'm afraid I don't have that option for Safari... or am I missing something?

I run a 4K display (not scaled) and I also suspect the graphics driver being the issue. Something is leaking somewhere. Performance degenerates over time and it fine after a reboot.

I run a 4K display (not scaled) and I also suspect the graphics driver being the issue. Something is leaking somewhere. Performance degenerates over time and it fine after a reboot.

Yes, exactly like this - everything is fine after a reboot, and it takes time until the performance start suffering again, it doesn't happen immediately after starting Safari.

I also have to add my macbook (late 2013) acts similar after installing 10.13.1

I'd say High Sierra is a piece of crap.

I guess it's more OS than graphics driver related. Or a combination. I don't know if this setting was there before, because I don't have a Sierra system running anymore, but when I enabled "System Preferences / Accessibility / Display / Reduce Motion" it became a lot better. Don't know if it's magic, but maybe someone wants to try that.

Last edited:
I'm have similar problem, everything was perfectly on sierra but now after upgrading to high sierra, chrome lags so much, however safari works good but I don't use safari; I use chrome and my pc lags when minimising or maximising from dock, and my pc lags when resizing the window of the chrome too.. In sierra it was working fine but now in high sierra its not working properly.. but while browsing the internet the chorme works good, youtube videos dosent lags, no problem; but only problem with minimising and maximising.. any help appreciated thanks

Hi,

I think I have the same issue. System is very fast in day-to-day operations but UI animations are very slow. Most problems appear with Chrome – e.g. video lags for a second while audio is continuing. It started when I upgraded from Sierra to High Sierra. Nothing changed hardware-wise. (and yes, the web drivers are installed and active)

My system
High Sierra 10.13.1
3,5GHz Intel Core i5
32GB 2133MHz DDR4 Ram
256GB NVME
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
2x LG 4K Monitor
Gigabyte Z170x Gaming G7

Thinking of going back to Sierra!?

Any updates on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.