Motherboard
Asus ROG G501JW
CPU
Core i7 4720HQ
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 & GeForce GTX960M
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
I tried updating my system from 10.12.6 to 10.13 and all of the kexts are working fine, however, everytime I booted into the system, it got stuck (rainbow loading ball) like trying to open an app and eventually the screen will turn into black. I also noticed that my laptop's fans were going really fast from the start (even though I did not open apps).

Does anyone experience this problem too?

Notes: I cannot even try to dump the IOReg since the system will already be stuck before I can even dump the ioreg

I tried updating my system from 10.12.6 to 10.13 and all of the kexts are working fine, however, everytime I booted into the system, it got stuck (rainbow loading ball) like trying to open an app and eventually the screen will turn into black. I also noticed that my laptop's fans were going really fast from the start (even though I did not open apps).

Does anyone experience this problem too?

Notes: I cannot even try to dump the IOReg since the system will already be stuck before I can even dump the ioreg

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

here, finally managed to output the logs

Attachments

• log.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 67
here, finally managed to output the logs

Wow. Messy:
- restore IO80211Family.kext to vanilla
- install kexts properly. see post #2: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
- config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be "Detect".
- ACPI/origin is too old to compare against ACPI/patched (you forgot to press F4). You likely need to re-extract/re-patch.
- USB configuration is wrong. read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/
- remove virtualbox.

Wow. Messy:
- restore IO80211Family.kext to vanilla
- install kexts properly. see post #2: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/
- config.plist/SystemParameters/InjectKexts should be "Detect".
- ACPI/origin is too old to compare against ACPI/patched (you forgot to press F4). You likely need to re-extract/re-patch.
- USB configuration is wrong. read here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/
- remove virtualbox.

Hi, thanks for checking it out haha.
- hm, but I never modified my IO80211Family.kext (?)
- what do you mean by install kexts properly? because until now, i used kext utility to install all of my kexts haha
- hm, i thought i already fixed the USB configuration before (on 10.12.6)
- can i just remove the virtual box by delete the file from Application folder?

thanks rehabman!

Attachments

• newLog.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
- hm, but I never modified my IO80211Family.kext (?)

Your kextcache output proves otherwise.
From where did you download macOS?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

- what do you mean by install kexts properly? because until now, i used kext utility to install all of my kexts haha

All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read at link provided.

- hm, i thought i already fixed the USB configuration before (on 10.12.6)

Evidently not.

- can i just remove the virtual box by delete the file from Application folder?

No idea. Refer to instructions provided by the software vendor.

Your kextcache output proves otherwise.
From where did you download macOS?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

Hm, is it possible if the IO80211 kext is modified when I installed my Airport.Atheros40? Because I installed a patched Airport kext from someone on insanelymac forum and my wifi + bt are working using his kext.

I updated it directly from App Store, and I followed your guide to install it without converting my SSD to APFS.

About the USB things, I think I already applied the DSDT or SSDT patch to fix those, does updating to High Sierra reverts the USB limit back?

Actually, my system works properly if I do not do anything when the system boots for about 20-30 secs. When my system boots, my laptop's fan is always goes crazy, which is never happened on 10.12.6. Do you have any idea about this problem?

Last edited:
I updated it directly from App Store, and I followed your guide to install it without converting my SSD to APFS.

Then you can get patched IO80211Family only if you installed patched versions.
You can run the macOS installer to restore it to vanilla.
Read FAQ for recommended WiFi hardware.

About the USB things, I think I already applied the DSDT or SSDT patch to fix those, does updating to High Sierra reverts the USB limit back?

Your ioreg shows what appears to be unused EHCI controllers (EH01/EH02). Those controllers should be disabled when you don't plan to use them (eg. not using FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext).

And the UsbConnector values on XHC are wrong. Ports connected to internal devices should be UsbConnector=255. And for each HSxx port marked UsbConnector=3, there should be an SSxx port marked UsbConnector=3.

Then you can get patched IO80211Family only if you installed patched versions.
You can run the macOS installer to restore it to vanilla.
Read FAQ for recommended WiFi hardware.

Your ioreg shows what appears to be unused EHCI controllers (EH01/EH02). Those controllers should be disabled when you don't plan to use them (eg. not using FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext).

And the UsbConnector values on XHC are wrong. Ports connected to internal devices should be UsbConnector=255. And for each HSxx port marked UsbConnector=3, there should be an SSxx port marked UsbConnector=3.

Hm, is it possible if the IO80211 kext is modified when I installed my Airport.Atheros40? Because I installed a patched Airport kext from someone on insanelymac forum and my wifi + bt are working using his kext.

What do you mean by ports connected to internal devices?

Actually, my system works properly if I do not do anything when the system boots for about 20-30 secs. When my system boots, my laptop's fan is always goes crazy, which is never happened on 10.12.6. Do you have any idea about this problem?

Of course.
AirportAtheros40.kext is part of IO80211Family.kext.
Do not use patched WiFi kexts.
Install appropriate supported WiFi hardware as per FAQ.

What do you mean by ports connected to internal devices?

Internal devices such as webcam and bluetooth controller.

Do you have mouse lag during that time?
If so, it is a framebuffer configuration issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back