gigabyte gtx 660
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I tend to leave my pc on for a few days at a time and have noticed it will completely freeze after 2 - 3 days for no obvious reason. I had originally assumed it to be sleep related and turned sleep off entirely but that has made no difference. I have also checked the console for errors but found nothing obvious.

Where do I go from here in isolating / diagnosing the problem?

I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.3, the only slightly odd thing is that I tend to leave to 2 mice (mouses?) connected all the time as I use a different one when I'm using windows but I will disconnect the one not in use now just in case.

Any help would be great, thanks.

memtest

boot in single user mode (-s) then memtest.

check your power supply.
also check your power network around the house, a power surge can do that.

in any case you need to establish a pattern. share the details here.

memtest

boot in single user mode (-s) then memtest.

check your power supply.
also check your power network around the house, a power surge can do that.

in any case you need to establish a pattern. share the details here.

Thanks for the reply,

You seem to be edging towards a hardware problem, I'm pretty sure that isn't the case as everything runs fine in windows for a similar length of time. The pattern is that it will hang after a prolonged period of use (2-3 days) it's the cause I need to establish so I guess the best thing to do is try to replicate the problem. The only other thing that seems odd to me is that it never hangs whilst in use, it always happens when the monitor is off and nobody is actively using it, which is why I assumed sleep problems at first even though sleep seemed to work fine.

i've run a system with corrupted memory chips for weeks, then it would collapse within the space of 2 hours. it was impossible to predict when things would start to crash. windows manages devices differently so it's difficult to correlate.
the other thing to examine closely is graphics. i haven't seen a single good graphics driver come out of apple since the 9400m series.
there may be issues with waking up your display(s) as you describe, so disable them powering off and observe.
i don't think there is an easy fix for what you're describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back