Contribute
Register

System Freezes; Screens go to one black one white. (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just do not understand either, I keep my hair short so it is harder to pull out!! I used to work in tech support years ago before I got into residential design helps me stay calm when things do not make sense. Now I design homes I think sometimes dealing with the 90 year old grandmother who just wanted to see pictures of her grand children on her 14.4 win modem dial up on her compaq presario was much easier then people that want to build new or remodel their home.

Right now I have the computer isolated on its own power, we traced out the load and before the computer was plugged into heavily load circuit. "here's to shoestring tackles"

Hmm... I never considered power... I have been using UPSes with AVR for so long that I take it for granted...

Hmm... I never considered power... I have been using UPSes with AVR for so long that I take it for granted...

As I noted I do have a UPS and it says that is has voltage regulation, I even got a new one to accommodate the larger power supply that is why I never considered power as the issue before either. However, I do not think there is anything left I to blame.

@scottkendall could you please define your problem what is happening exactly while on crash?

I read the whole thread and I am thinking your problem looks mine problem but I am not sure.

As you said while working on something, watching a video, playing a game or surfing on the safari etc. your system crashing (its mean your system crash and giving you an error or restart itself?) and the display turns grey, white, blue or green and you are making force restart? If it is like that we have the same problem.

Unfortunately, I still did not find a solution for that.

My problem exactly looks like these;

I watching a video on youtube with Safari suddenly screen turns full of grey and I am making force restart from the case or surfing on the iTunes store its turn this time white and force a restart from the case again. Earlier I got blue or green while surfing on the Netflix. Really really super annoying problem I have ever seen. No any error on the console after a force restart. That's why I can't define my problem what is going on exactly and ask people to help.

The most annoying thing is this is not happening all the time for me. Sometimes I am working the whole week and never crash. Then suddenly after one week, it starts crashing.

Last edited:
@scottkendall could you please define your problem what is happening exactly while on crash?

No specific time frame, black and gray screen, hard reset, not any specific program system has crashed just sitting Idle. Sometimes I see a Panic.GPUrestart in the console but not always.

I have attached the panics.GPUrestarts previously on this thread I think and on other threads also. I think Hackintosh just hates me at this point I have given up. For me this was never about money like it is for some it was about having the system have enough power and be upgradeable. At this point an out has been provided via eGPU and the new Mac mini, I was trying to wait out the new Mac Pro but the time I spend trying to resolve the crashes could be better spent elsewhere. So today I went to the apple store and picked up an I5 Mac mini, Ordered a eGPU case, and 32 GB of memory.

@pastrychef thank you for all the feed back and time you invested trying to help me Trouble shoot this issue. If there is files or dumps needed from this new Mac mini that could help the community let me know.

Last edited:
@pastrychef

Today I have noticed that HP remote Graphic software does not crash upon closing on the real Mac, it always did on the Hack I chalked it unto maybe HP not updating the software to work with Mojave. I also noticed when I use Luxmark to do both CPU/GPU Stress test luxmark would close/crash. I was trying to compare the GPU when installed in eGPU and installed in a PCI. The numbers on Geekbench show about 15% drop in performance not huge deal for me, but frames are actually up go figure. Let me know if that sparks something to tell us why my crashes persisted.

@pastrychef

Today I have noticed that HP remote Graphic software does not crash upon closing on the real Mac, it always did on the Hack I chalked it unto maybe HP not updating the software to work with Mojave. I also noticed when I use Luxmark to do both CPU/GPU Stress test luxmark would close/crash. I was trying to compare the GPU when installed in eGPU and installed in a PCI. The numbers on Geekbench show about 15% drop in performance not huge deal for me, but frames are actually up go figure. Let me know if that sparks something to tell us why my crashes persisted.

Which HP remote Graphics software?

I just tried the LuxMark CPU+GPU stress test and it did the instant close/crash as you described. This is the first time I've tried the stress test so I don't know if it behaved the same way with older versions of macOS.

Edit:
I just watched Console when the LuxMark CPU+GPU stress test crashed and saw:
Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 10.10.39 PM.png

I have no idea why it would crash with a WebKit error...

Last edited:
Well at least it crashes on you also that means that was not the issue lol.

HP remote Graphics Software Reciever
Build 7.6 December 18th 2018

It is the same version that is on the hack.. Because I installed it from the software folder on my storage drive.

Because webkit is in everything it is like sky-net! Never really researched it or looked at the errors in the console. Also I may have got lucky or not chose CPU&GPU because I just ran again on the real Mac and it crashed also.

Well at least it crashes on you also that means that was not the issue lol.

HP remote Graphics Software Reciever
Build 7.6 December 18th 2018

It is the same version that is on the hack.. Because I installed it from the software folder on my storage drive.

Because webkit is in everything it is like sky-net! Never really researched it or looked at the errors in the console. Also I may have got lucky or not chose CPU&GPU because I just ran again on the real Mac and it crashed also.

LuxMark probably needs updating...

For now This is solved after all the changes and there been lots the stability came after Disabling XMP and manually clocking the memory at 2666. This is a much easier proposition with a Asus Bios vs Gigabyte.

Current config

IGPU off
WEG installed
Dummy Kext for hardware encoding/deocindg
Novpa for Jpeg.

I am hesitant to Turn the IGPU on and remove the dummy kext and novpa because current run time is 12 days.

For now This is solved after all the changes and there been lots the stability came after Disabling XMP and manually clocking the memory at 2666. This is a much easier proposition with a Asus Bios vs Gigabyte.

Current config

IGPU off
WEG installed
Dummy Kext for hardware encoding/deocindg
Novpa for Jpeg.

I am hesitant to Turn the IGPU on and remove the dummy kext and novpa because current run time is 12 days.

Holy smokes! I never considered XMP may be an issue. Back in December, I also had an issue with RAM where they could not be run reliably at their advertised speed. I ended up doing a warranty replacement and since getting the replacement RAM, I've been running them 200MHz lower than advertised speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back