Contribute
Register

System Freezes; Screens go to one black one white. (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pastrychef

Even though I had stability with two cards I was not happy with that I would rather solve the issue instead of placing a bandaid on it. It is a hardware problem as you have suggested from the beginning and I believe it is a faulty Motherboard.

I bought a new board Gigabyte Z370 HD3 it was the first on the buyers guide; and a new CPU I3 3800k just for good measure. I think together I think they were like $230. Popped the Vega 64, Hard drives some memory and a bench PSU. I did not put it in a case just left it on the cart next to me desk. it ran for 3 days without incident so I shut it down and changed out the CPU to the 8700k currently it has been 2 days without incident with the 8700k. I made my sincerest attempt at making it crash and so far have not been able to with this new MB. However, it has not been put into the case that is a project for this weekend after it has pulled a full week of stability.

Currently the I3 CPU is in the Gaming 5 board "the defective one" under windows running wow and rendering stuff in Revit, and running iTunes. I have yet to be able to crash this board under windows. I will also test the gaming 5 board in this configure under Mac OS this weekend and see if the same issue arise with a different CPU.

I am also not ruling out that it has something to do with the case only because I previously had a board similar to yours at the start of this journey and it also crashed "Could be for different reasons". It became my GF and has been running under windows for sometime without incident.

Hopefully I will have an answer as to case or Mother board after this weekend never had a faulty case before, but also have never had hardware that worked most of the time normally. Never experienced an intermittent problem that was not software.

Most of the intermittent problems I've had in the past were hardware related.

Most of the intermittent problems I've had in the past were hardware related.

I am hesitant to make this post but after a week long testing it appears that it is the CPU but the same tasks in windows do not crash the CPU. I am using:

Aorus Gaming 5 - i3-8350K - RX Vega 64 on Mac OS
Gigabyte Z370 HD3 - i7-8700K - RX Vega 56 on Windows

Both Boards run stable in Mac OS with the I3 I guess at this point I should try and convince Intel to RMA the I7.

@pastrychef

So the crashes returned no updates to wow no updates to anything they just kind of returned not sure why. So I totally swiped my GF computer maybe I should have done this long ago its a Strix Z370-F Gaming, with a 8600K. I mentioned this computer previously I though I tested it but maybe all the extra quarks about the Motherboard I maybe never got it to boot into Mac OS. Even today it took some time to get it to boot properly, it does not dig three screens would go to black screen upon boot. I also noticed that I was not getting working iTunes movies I removed the IGPU and GFX0 Renames and let WG do its job and the movies played I do use SM 18,1.

@pastrychef

So the crashes returned no updates to wow no updates to anything they just kind of returned not sure why. So I totally swiped my GF computer maybe I should have done this long ago its a Strix Z370-F Gaming, with a 8600K. I mentioned this computer previously I though I tested it but maybe all the extra quarks about the Motherboard I maybe never got it to boot into Mac OS. Even today it took some time to get it to boot properly, it does not dig three screens would go to black screen upon boot. I also noticed that I was not getting working iTunes movies I removed the IGPU and GFX0 Renames and let WG do its job and the movies played I do use SM 18,1.

If there were no changes to software and crashes just started to happen out of the blue, I'd have to think it's hardware related.

If there were no changes to software and crashes just started to happen out of the blue, I'd have to think it's hardware related.

Yea no dice system crashed /sigh at this point unless:

3 mother boards, 2 gigbytes, 1 Asus
4 video cards, RX 56, Vega 56, Vega 64, 1080
8 strips of memory, 4 strips Corsair Vegnce LED, 2 strips of Crucial, 2 strips of Corsair Vengence LPX
5 hard drives, 2 Kingston 240GB SSD, 1 Samsung 1TB SSD, 1 WD 1TB HD 7200, 1 240 Kingston Hyper X
3 PSU, 650 Antec, 750 Thermaltake, 1000 Corsair

Are all bad I just do not see the hardware being a problem. I blamed the I7 and even made it crash in windows and got Intel to RMA but now I am not so sure it was really bad.

I have brand new 1000w UPS that I added about 3 weeks ago I would assume if there was power drop on the circuit the UPS would Kick on at least that is how my old one worked in my old house wiring was questionable. I mean I guess I could installed a circuit right off the electrical panel and run a heavy duty extension cord from it to my computer. Short of that It might be time for me to give up buy an eGPU and Mac mini.

Yea no dice system crashed /sigh at this point unless:

3 mother boards, 2 gigbytes, 1 Asus
4 video cards, RX 56, Vega 56, Vega 64, 1080
8 strips of memory, 4 strips Corsair Vegnce LED, 2 strips of Crucial, 2 strips of Corsair Vengence LPX
5 hard drives, 2 Kingston 240GB SSD, 1 Samsung 1TB SSD, 1 WD 1TB HD 7200, 1 240 Kingston Hyper X
3 PSU, 650 Antec, 750 Thermaltake, 1000 Corsair

Are all bad I just do not see the hardware being a problem. I blamed the I7 and even made it crash in windows and got Intel to RMA but now I am not so sure it was really bad.

I have brand new 1000w UPS that I added about 3 weeks ago I would assume if there was power drop on the circuit the UPS would Kick on at least that is how my old one worked in my old house wiring was questionable. I mean I guess I could installed a circuit right off the electrical panel and run a heavy duty extension cord from it to my computer. Short of that It might be time for me to give up buy an eGPU and Mac mini.

I don't know what to tell you... If it's crashing in both macOS and Windows, I assume it's a hardware issue. But having replaced just about every component, I have no idea which is the cause...

I don't know what to tell you... If it's crashing in both macOS and Windows, I assume it's a hardware issue. But having replaced just about every component, I have no idea which is the cause...

My Girl Friends computer with a brand new hard drive crashes on Mac OS, she's been running windows on it for the same amount of time I been trying to get the hack going. : / at this point I think the wifi is the only thing that has not been replaced but the crashes come with out the card installed.

I also had my room mate check the power at the panel, and he said it looks balanced. And he tested the power at the computer. We ran an extension cord from the Garbage disposal was plugged in and then into the computer UPS (nothing else is plugged into the UPS).

Last edited:
My Girl Friends computer with a brand new hard drive crashes on Mac OS, she's been running windows on it for the same amount of time I been trying to get the hack going. : / at this point I think the wifi is the only thing that has not been replaced but the crashes come with out the card installed.

I also had my room mate check the power at the panel, and he said it looks balanced. And he tested the power at the computer. We ran an extension cord from the Garbage disposal was plugged in and then into the computer UPS (nothing else is plugged into the UPS).

I just don't understand... If I were in your shoes, I would be pulling my hair out...

I just don't understand... If I were in your shoes, I would be pulling my hair out...

I just do not understand either, I keep my hair short so it is harder to pull out!! I used to work in tech support years ago before I got into residential design helps me stay calm when things do not make sense. Now I design homes I think sometimes dealing with the 90 year old grandmother who just wanted to see pictures of her grand children on her 14.4 win modem dial up on her compaq presario was much easier then people that want to build new or remodel their home.

Right now I have the computer isolated on its own power, we traced out the load and before the computer was plugged into heavily load circuit. "here's to shoestring tackles"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back