Contribute
Register

System Freezes; Screens go to one black one white. (Solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Michelinu I think your onto something, so I gave this a try. Last time I tried 18,3 I got blank screens, but with lilu and wg I was able to boot.
The good news, is this seems to take care of a problem where I could not get my photo app to work without freezing. Also desktops used to freeze and now this seems to correct that.

the Bad news, Directv no longer plays. I lost my video.

I had some extra time this afternoons so I tested Michelinu theory. I removed everything from the DSDT patching other then SATA rename and added WE and Lilu installed and as previously it crashed rather quickly. Upon restart I changed the SM to IMacpro left iGPU enabled and opened some programs and went for a bike ride when I returned the system was in the good old One screen black one screen white crash status. Only this time it produced a Kernel panic If I remember correctly I received panic errors logs when WE and Lilu were installed months back.

Different configurations I tested:

A. iMac 18,3 No Lilu, No WE, iGPU Disabled, preview does not work, I tunes movies works, only crashes after attempts to use preview with Jpeg.

B. iMac 18,3 - Lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, Preview works - Crash no panic log. WOW, iTunes Music in use - no movies "@Michelinu Settings"

C. Imac Pro 1,1 - Lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, Preview works - crash Panic Log WOW, iTunes Movies in use - “Note Movies Stream; downloaded movies crash iTunes instantly.

I also tested SM iMac Pro 1,1 without lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, preview worked iTunes movie streaming did not so I moved on

D. Imac Pro 1,1 - Lilu, WE, iGPU Disabled, Preview works - Crash no panic log. WOW, iTunes Movie.

E. Imac Pro 1,1 No Lilu, No WE, iGPU Disabled, GFX0——> iGPU rename disabled, Preview works, Wow, iTunes Movie - Has not crashed yet! Only a little over 2/hrs of testing then power outage will update.

Option A & E have so far shown the most stability for me, with E having the ability to use preview where A can not.

Could the crashes be related to AGPM not being properly set up?

Attachments

• Kernel_2018-10-01-201216.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
@scottkendall - thanks good info. can I ask, why 1,1 and not 6,1? (seems the popular choice). Also which board ID did you use - especially with 18,3?

@scottkendall - thanks good info. can I ask, why 1,1 and not 6,1? (seems the popular choice). Also which board ID did you use - especially with 18,3?

I was using 6,1 but it was crashing @pastrychef approached me about fixing my crashing problem so here we are. I use what ever board ID is populated with clover so 18,3 one.

I had some extra time this afternoons so I tested Michelinu theory. I removed everything from the DSDT patching other then SATA rename and added WE and Lilu installed and as previously it crashed rather quickly. Upon restart I changed the SM to IMacpro left iGPU enabled and opened some programs and went for a bike ride when I returned the system was in the good old One screen black one screen white crash status. Only this time it produced a Kernel panic If I remember correctly I received panic errors logs when WE and Lilu were installed months back.

Different configurations I tested:

A. iMac 18,3 No Lilu, No WE, iGPU Disabled, preview does not work, I tunes movies works, only crashes after attempts to use preview with Jpeg.

B. iMac 18,3 - Lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, Preview works - Crash no panic log. WOW, iTunes Music in use - no movies "@Michelinu Settings"

C. Imac Pro 1,1 - Lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, Preview works - crash Panic Log WOW, iTunes Movies in use - “Note Movies Stream; downloaded movies crash iTunes instantly.

I also tested SM iMac Pro 1,1 without lilu, WE, iGPU enabled, preview worked iTunes movie streaming did not so I moved on

D. Imac Pro 1,1 - Lilu, WE, iGPU Disabled, Preview works - Crash no panic log. WOW, iTunes Movie.

E. Imac Pro 1,1 No Lilu, No WE, iGPU Disabled, GFX0——> iGPU rename disabled, Preview works, Wow, iTunes Movie - Has not crashed yet! Only a little over 2/hrs of testing then power outage will update.

Option A & E have so far shown the most stability for me, with E having the ability to use preview where A can not.

Could the crashes be related to AGPM not being properly set up?

iMac18,3 will expect iGPU to be present. It seems that your crashes are more related to DRM than anything else.

This guide will show you how to check if AGPM is working right and how to get it working if it isn't.

iMac18,3 will expect iGPU to be present. It seems that your crashes are more related to DRM than anything else.

This guide will show you how to check if AGPM is working right and how to get it working if it isn't.

Yea I totally read that guid things did not really look the same in my system. I guess when I have a lot of time I will look at it more.

Also, in the past using pandora instead of iTunes and streaming music from iTunes also causes the issue. Are these also protected by DRM?

it is odd then that one of the the most stable configs for me on 18,3 was with iGPU disabled :). though preview was broken.

Yea I totally read that guid things did not really look the same in my system. I guess when I have a lot of time I will look at it more.

Also, in the past using pandora instead of iTunes and streaming music from iTunes also causes the issue. Are these also protected by DRM?

it is odd then that one of the the most stable configs for me on 18,3 was with iGPU disabled :). though preview was broken.

Yes, I believe Pandora also uses DRM.

HECI to IMEI is audio related right? Would I need that since I use USB audio?

They are chipset features. Not sure if there's any direct correlation to audio. I would think that you they would be needed even if you don't have any audio.

Yes, I believe Pandora also uses DRM.

I guess I will rip some MP3 down from some old Audio CD's I own and see if that causes the crashes similarly since they will not have DRM included in them.

Right now I am still running though I have not been sitting at my desk much today.

So today I had a crash though it was not exactly the same. I was working no iTunes, no world of warcraft just processing some PDF's I viewed a few PDF in preview they worked just fine but after a few mins things became unstable. Similarly to what @ekohn00 when he uses photo apps. Well I got up to go get some water and on my way back it looked like it dropped down into screen saver mode only no screen saver came up when I looked over it looked like the GPU was just off. Attached is a zip file with the GPU restarts they all appear to be be after the GPU when offline and the screen went black. Only this black was because of no signal rather then being black and grey because the GPU bugged out. Maybe these GPU restart log files will shed some light on the problem. In addition I will add that kext from the previous thread and add back Lilu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back