GT8800
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I have used the standard MacPro,3,1 for the current computer and it has run perfect, now I would like to test Sierra but I cannot due to the system definition. What should I change it too instead without breaking my system?

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 iX38
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gainward GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-Ex 2.0
Kingston 4x2gb DDR2

Thanks

MacOS Sierra supports only CPUs with SSE4 support

So this means I cannot upgrade without new hardware? Or will there be some bypass or fake kext in the future?

So this means I cannot upgrade without new hardware? Or will there be some bypass or fake kext in the future?

"New hardware" means, in your case, a new CPU. The Q6600 is a Kentsfield (Conroe core), which doesn't have SSE4. You'll need at least a Q8200 or Q8200s, going up to a Q9650; these are Yorkfields (Penryn core) featuring SSE4.1, with the same or less power requirement. (The Yorkfield Core 2 Extremes--QX9650 and QX9770--need 130W; check your mobo docs for compatibility.) These chips should be drop-in replacements. You may need to update your BIOS as well.

Your RAM should be OK, as long as it's at least PC2-5300 (667 MHz). AFAIK, your existing CPU wants either 6400 (800) or even 8500 (1066), same as the Extremes above. Assuming you already run El Capitan as a MacPro3,1, the only change you'll notice is a speed bump--for some apps that want SSE4 (e.g., Handbrake, BOINC, iTunes), a big speed bump.

As for a "bypass or fake kext," you'll need to change your System Definition to iMac10,1 or Macmini4,1, depending on your graphics hardware. MultiBeast does not yet have these sysdefs; I've made a request for them in the MultiBeast future feature thread.

Last edited:
"New hardware" means, in your case, a new CPU. The Q6600 is a Kentsfield (Conroe core), which doesn't have SSE4. You'll need at least a Q8200 or Q8200s, going up to a Q9650; these are Yorkfields (Penryn core) featuring SSE4.1, with the same or less power requirement. (The Yorkfield Core 2 Extremes--QX9650 and QX9770--need 130W; check your mobo docs for compatibility.) These chips should be drop-in replacements. You may need to update your BIOS as well.

As for a "bypass or fake kext," you'll need to change your System Definition to iMac10,1 or Macmini4,1, depending on your graphics hardware. MultiBeast does not yet have these sysdefs; I've made a request for them in the MultiBeast future feature thread.

I'm running 10.12 on a Core 2 Duo E8400 and a Core 2 Quad Q9400 works perfectly fine.

Hi

I have used the standard MacPro,3,1 for the current computer and it has run perfect, now I would like to test Sierra but I cannot due to the system definition. What should I change it too instead without breaking my system?

Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 iX38
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Gainward GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI-Ex 2.0
Kingston 4x2gb DDR2

Thanks

You will need to replace your CPU. You can pick up a Core 2 Quad Q9400 off eBay pretty cheap now. You could also upgrade your Motherboard which has DDR3 with a Socket 775 then you could run your RAM at 1333Mhz if you get a CPU that has 1333Mhz Front Side Bus such as Q9400 which its FSB runs at 1333Mhz will have a big boost keeping your budget down.

I am using iMac 10.1 on both. Only because of Power Management.

I assume you rolled your own? Or did Unibeast provide this during the install process?

I assume you rolled your own? Or did Unibeast provide this during the install process?

Did it myself. Same with DSDT and SSDT. I don't use Unibeast only use CreateInstallMedia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back