Internal Graphics (HD4000)
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
[HELP] Installation problems with Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

The system will only run in safe mode after running MultiBeast with ALC898 and hnak's AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet settings. When I boot the system with (-v) flag, I get the following screenshot and the system hangs after. Notice that the last line (ConsiderRebuildofPrelinkedKernel ...) and line with Unknown CPU model 0x3a in the picture. Is this normal? Do you see any obvious configuration issues?

I used UniBeast version 1.5.3 and MultiBeast version 5.2.1 during the installation. Attached are the install screenshot and the screens of the Bios settings. Any help is greatly appreciated.

The hardware is based on the Ivy Bridge CustoMac Pro Build on this link: http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac. Here are the specs for the system:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH board (F11 firmware)
Intel Core i7-3770
16GB Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
using HD4000 graphics on board
Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB
Seasonic 660W X-Series Gold PSU
Apple Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Attachments

• Install Snapshot.JPG
    Install Snapshot.JPG
    342.9 KB · Views: 222
  • System.jpg
    System.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 167
  • MIT Adv Memory.jpg
    MIT Adv Memory.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 184
  • MIT Misc settings.jpg
    MIT Misc settings.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 172
  • MIT PC Health.jpg
    MIT PC Health.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 197
  • Peripherals 1.jpg
    Peripherals 1.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 190
  • Peripherals 2.jpg
    Peripherals 2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Power Mgmt.jpg
    Power Mgmt.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 195
  • MIT Adv Freq.jpg
    MIT Adv Freq.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 192
  • Bios Features.jpg
    Bios Features.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 509
Middleman,

Thanks very much for your help in pointing me in the right direction. The system now boots up normally. The VT-d setting must be disabled for the system to work, as you indicated.

1) Since I am using the internal HD4000 graphics (DVI), are we stuck with 1074x768 resolution? I do not see other settings under display prefs.

2) I have a Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 660Ti 2 GB graphics card. Can you please tell me which setting to select in MultiBeast? Is it the 10.8.0+ OpenCL Patch?

Thanks.

Novi,

If you have the Nvidia card even better, change over to it, but not before installing the drivers first.

I would suggest use Multibeast 5.1.3 to install. > http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=6&page=2

What you need to do is using MB 5.1.3, select the 3rd Nvidia Graphics setting (>GTX670/Kepler cards), save onto your HD.
Once you've done that install the Nvidia Mac GEForce drivers >http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

Then edit the file in /Extras/org.chameleon.Boot.plist with Textedit to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Once that's done, save file and then run Disk Utility > Repair Permissions on your drive.

Then shutdown the system and install the card. Use the last DVI port (nearest the edge) or first HDMI port to boot.
It should work right off the bat...

p.s. you're welcome

Middleman,

Thanks for your feedback. I ran into a problem. After running MultiBeast with GTX670/Kepler cards settings (see picture enclosed), installing MAC GEForece Drivers (not the CUDA link on the page), editing kernel flags in plist, and repair permissions with Disk Utility, I shutdown the computer and inserted the GTX 660Ti card into the slot on the motherboard along with connecting the 2 PCI-E power connectors on the top edge of the card. I connected the DVI cable to the graphics card and started the computer.

The video came up fine for the BIOS, but does not load OS completely to the desktop. It is displaying the white apple screen and spinning sprite. Next, I booted off the UniBeast USB key to see if the system would load the installer with DVI connected to the card. It does load USB installer, but does not load the Mountain Lion off the SSD.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Use the last DVI port (nearest the edge)" from your explanation?
Do you I need to change any BIOS setting after inserting the graphics card for the system to boot normally?

Attachments

• GTX 6XX.png
    GTX 6XX.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 177
Middleman,

Thanks for your feedback. I ran into a problem. After running MultiBeast with GTX670/Kepler cards settings (see picture enclosed), installing MAC GEForece Drivers (not the CUDA link on the page), editing kernel flags in plist, and repair permissions with Disk Utility, I shutdown the computer and inserted the GTX 660Ti card into the slot on the motherboard along with connecting the 2 PCI-E power connectors on the top edge of the card. I connected the DVI cable to the graphics card and started the computer.

The video came up fine for the BIOS, but does not load OS completely to the desktop. It is displaying the white apple screen and spinning sprite. Next, I booted off the UniBeast USB key to see if the system would load the installer with DVI connected to the card. It does load USB installer, but does not load the Mountain Lion off the SSD.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Use the last DVI port (nearest the edge)" from your explanation?
Do you I need to change any BIOS setting after inserting the graphics card for the system to boot normally?

Novi,

If you changged the First Init Display i BIOS to iGPU in order to install then you need to set it back to Auto or PCIe (PEG)

Changing the Init Display to Auto or PEG results in system hanging. See enclosed screenshot. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    359.6 KB · Views: 245
Middleman,

==Exactly what I meant....connect it to the last DVI socket on the rear of the Nvidia.

See if you can boot into the Nvidia with the following:

-v -x
-v -x GraphicsEnabler=No

Another question, did you select USERDSDT setting using Multibeast? If you didn't that likely is your culprit...
In addition you need to make sure your SMBIOS version is Mac Pro 3,1. You can set this under Multibeast > System Definitions.

If all else fails I suggest using the Unibeast USB and the Nvidia connected, to run this to get into the Installer:
-x -v GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

Middleman,

Success! Thanks again for your help. Last night's system was a wash, since nothing would bring the system up. I erased the system drive and started over. I am able to start the system without problems now. I have included a short writeup of my experience below. Hopefully, this will help someone else. I did NOT load the Nvidia MAC GEForce drivers as suggested and did NOT select the Nvidia graphics options (GTX670/Kepler) inside MultiBeast. Does Mountain Lion 10.8.2 natively supports the GTX 660Ti card? Looks like it. Attached is the plist file with the suggested flags.

• Change BIOS Init Display to AUTO, connect LCD to GTX 660Ti card
• Start system with USB UniBeast inserted, no kernel flags needed (system works ok)
• Mountain Lion Installer is up, Use DiskUtil to partition system drive (e.g. SSD drive), one partition, assign name to drive (e.g. Mountain Lion), Option > GPT, apply, partition, then quit DiskUtil
• Continue with installation, OS will restart at the end of installation
• Restart with USB UniBeast still inserted, boot into USB with no kernel flags, then at the chameleon screen, use the left and right arrow to select the Mountain Lion system drive name (e.g. Mountain Lion)
• The Mountain Lion is up, continue with answer questions (e.g. keyboard layout, time zone)
• Before starting MultiBeast app, go to System Preferences (looks like gears on the dock) and select Security & Privacy
• On the dialog box, click on the brown padlock and enter the password to allow changes
• On the section for allow applications downloaded from, select Anywhere to unlock setting, close dialog box
• Run MultiBeast ver 5.2.1 with following settings:
⁃ User DSDT or DSDT-free installation
⁃ Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALC8XX > without DSDT > ALC898
⁃ Drivers > Disk > Trim Enabler > 10.8.1+ Trim Enabler
⁃ Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC
⁃ Drivers > Network > Intel - hank's AppleIntelE1000e
⁃ Customization > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 3,1
• Use TextEdit to edit the org.chameleon.Boot.plist (see attached file)
• Restart system. The flags are load from the plist file from previous step (system boots ok)

Novi

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    637 bytes · Views: 336
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back