Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> Synaptic trackpad buttons not working on Thinkpad X270 with VoodooPS2Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Eglobal S200
CPU
i7-8750H
Graphics
UHD 630
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi All,

I've a near complete Thinkpad X270 running Mojave 10.14.6 (18G103).

However, no matter what I try, I cannot seem to get the trackpad working.

I've looked all over for a solution but it seems there are either not many users with X270 posts on forums, older Lenovo X series voodoo.kexts don't work, or everyone is smarter than me and has their X270's working perfectly without problems.

My X270 trackpad is Synaptics PS2 with the three buttons.

I'm using the latest version of VoodooPS2Controller.kext (1008) from Rehabman's repo.

I've patched my DSDT for battery (this appears to be a known dependency for Trackpad functionality) and have full visibility of the Trackpad functions in System Preferences. Keyboard is working without issue (minus Fkey functions remapped via Karabiner).

Peculiarly, the Trackpad has come to life on some boots (approx 1 in 20) using Rehabman's VoodooPS2Controller. On this occasion all buttons are effectively 'right click' and some of the more simple gestures work.

If anyone has any insight as to how I can fix the trackpad, please let me know. I'm willing to put in the effort and learn.

Cheers,

Hi All,

I got the trackpad working by turning off the Trackpoint (UltraNav) in the BIOS.

Does anyone have a patched DSDT for the Synaptics trackpad so the buttons can work?

I've used acidanthera, rehabman, tluck's voodoops2controller and looks like this laptop will need a custom patch for the left, middle, right buttons, as none of the above kexts work out of the box.

Issue in the end was the keyboard itself had a faulty/damaged track point :oops:

Took a chance on a new keyboard and now the track point is working fine (and turned on in the BIOS).

I have since used a compiled VoodooPS2Controller.kext from Jpe230 and followed silencer51's post on github to get the Synaptics buttons working.

Essentially to:
  • Create a new 'X260' (X270 for my machine) string (Key) under LENOVO/Platform Profile in Info.plist inside VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext
  • Add the string 'Thinkpad_Clickpad'
To do this you must follow these steps:
  • Selected 'show package contents' on the VoodooPS2Controller.kext
  • Open 'Plugins' folder
  • Select 'show package contents' on VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext
  • Open 'Info.plist' in Xcode
  • Select 'IOKitPersonalities'
  • Select 'Synaptics Touchpad'
  • Select 'Platform Profile'
  • Select 'LENOVO'
  • Add 'X270' under Key column
  • Add 'String' under Type column
  • Add 'Thinkpad_Clickpad' under Value column
  • Save Info.plist
  • Add saved kext to EFI
  • Rebuild kextcache
  • Reboot
All 3 buttons are now working. Trackpad is smooth. Track point is smooth. Gestures seem ok, although 2+ finger gestures don't really fit on such a small trackpad.

I now only have the wifi card replacement to go and I'll have a fully functional X270 EFI :clap:

Last edited:
im on the same page (kinda). On Mojave, I'm using Acidanthera's voodoops2controller kext and the gestures and the trackpad are fine but the buttons don't work at all. I tried for RMI but probably I didn't install that properly so It didn't work. Although when I use apple smart touchpad kext, the buttons work but I don't want to go for it as the gestures are not native and they are only sending keyboard bindings. Can u please assist me with this? I have a HP Synaptics touchpad(SMBus)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back