Switching to AMD

Discussion in 'Bat Cave' started by LudwigVanCookie, Dec 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM.

1. LudwigVanCookie

LudwigVanCookie

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Ga-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
    CPU:
    I7-7700K
    Graphics:
    GTX 1070
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Dec 5, 2018 at 9:23 PM #1
    LudwigVanCookie

LudwigVanCookie

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Ga-Z270X-Ultra Gaming
    CPU:
    I7-7700K
    Graphics:
    GTX 1070
    Mobile Phone:
    iOS
    Hello all,

I've been using Hackintoshes for 9 years now, starting with one I purchased from a grad student when I went back to school. I rebuilt that one twice and then built my own Customac (build in sig) in Dec. of last year.

With the advent of Mojave and the complete PITA that the Nvidia 1070 (EVGA 170FTW) has been as far as OS upgrades, I'm curious which I should switch to in order to not lose (and preferably see a gain) in video editing performance.

So I look at the numbers and by the digits, the Vega64 should be king of the Hackintosh world but I've seen people comparing the RX580 to the GTX1070 and saying they're getting FCPX performance increases. The benchmarks put the Vega56 just a tiny bit ahead of the 1070 and the Vega64 blows both away.

Sapphire Vega64's are in short supply right now, they're on Ebay for around $450 and the 580's running around $300 with 56's being even more expensive than the 64's for some reason.

I've been holding out to spring for a Vega64, but wonder if I'm going for overkill since I'm only on a 7700k. I know if I had more cores and/or a X299 build I would get the most out of any video card. Lacking the funds to build another hack this year, upgrading the video card is about all I have left to do. I've already delidded, overclocked (4.8ghz), and liquid cooled this machine as far as I can go.

So I want to 1) upgrade to Mojave with minimal effort and 2) not lose any video processing speed in the end.

RX580 or Vega64? (I don't see much point in getting a Vega56 for more than I can a Vega64)