Contribute
Register

Switching out Nvidia 1080 for Saphire Nitro Radeon RX Vega 64 (For Mojave compatibility) Need Tips and help for clover config

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
So, I have a perfectly working Hackintosh build (see my profile) using an Nvidia 1080, Gigabyte z170mx mobo running high sierra. As of now, I am using system definitions of iMac 17,1 in clover. I am also running the nvidia web drivers.

Now due to the lack of Nvidia web driver updates, I have purchased a Saphire Nitro Radeon RX Vega 64 video card (which seems like the amd 1080 equivilant). It is my intention to switch out the Nvidia card with the AMD card and then update to Mojave and have full acellerated graphics support. My question is, what changes and adjustments do i need to make in clover in order for the AMD card to work?

1) Do I need to change my system definitions in clover or can I keep iMac 17,1?

2) Im assuming I no longer need nvidia graphics fixup, or web drivers enabled. True?

3) Should I expect My amd card to work out of the box plug and play after installing it?

4) Do I need any amd specific kexts or patches in clover before i install the card?

5) Anything else you can think of that I am not considering and need to know?

Thanks for any help!

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 - F22i - Clover UEFI
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
HD 530/Vega 64
Mobile Phone
Android
So, I have a perfectly working Hackintosh build (see my profile) using an Nvidia 1080, Gigabyte z170mx mobo running high sierra. As of now, I am using system definitions of iMac 17,1 in clover. I am also running the nvidia web drivers.

Now due to the lack of Nvidia web driver updates, I have purchased a Saphire Nitro Radeon RX Vega 64 video card (which seems like the amd 1080 equivilant). It is my intention to switch out the Nvidia card with the AMD card and then update to Mojave and have full acellerated graphics support. My question is, what changes and adjustments do i need to make in clover in order for the AMD card to work?

1) Do I need to change my system definitions in clover or can I keep iMac 17,1?

2) Im assuming I no longer need nvidia graphics fixup, or web drivers enabled. True?

3) Should I expect My amd card to work out of the box plug and play after installing it?

4) Do I need any amd specific kexts or patches in clover before i install the card?

5) Anything else you can think of that I am not considering and need to know?

Thanks for any help!
1) No, you can keep 17,1

2) True

3) Yes, if using latest Mojave or Catalina PB. (Before Mojave it was kind of supported but it needed some tweaks for fan control but not anymore with latest Mojave and Catalina)

4) You could use WhateverGreen kext. If you don't want to use the kext then just take care of the renaming of GFX0 to IGPU, PEGP to GFX0 and HECI to IMEI. Remember to switch the internal graphics setting from auto to on in UEFI/BIOS if your using SMBIOS 17,1 in headless mode (platform ID 19120001). If you don't Hackintool will fail detecting VDA Decoder, Metal and Quartz Extreme (QE/CI). Hackintool has a feature to check this.

5) Just don't upgrade clover bootloader to 4988. Use the latest stable version before that. Make sure to have all the latest kexts.

Last edited: