Contribute
Register

Switching mobo/CPU, can I just put old drive in the new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Prime X299- A II
CPU
i9-10980XE
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
  4. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Plus
  2. Power Mac
  3. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

I'm currently running High Sierra on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 170 board and a 6700k (the Tonymac buyer's guide from a couple of years ago). I'm using a GTX1080 for graphics and an external USB audio interface for audio so I don't use any of the built-in audio/video. Everything is peachy.

This week-end, I'm planning on replacing the mobo with the Gigabyte AORUS Gaming z370 and an 8700k CPU (once again, straight from the Tonymac buyer's guide). Everything else is staying the same.

My question is…will I be able to simply plug my OS drive into the new machine, tweak the BIOS as needed, and go? My Clover settings should translate to the new CPU according to my research. Am I overlooking something important?

Also, by simply plugging in my old drive, will the computer serial # stay the same?

Hello all,

I'm currently running High Sierra on a Gigabyte Gaming 5 170 board and a 6700k (the Tonymac buyer's guide from a couple of years ago). I'm using a GTX1080 for graphics and an external USB audio interface for audio so I don't use any of the built-in audio/video. Everything is peachy.

This week-end, I'm planning on replacing the mobo with the Gigabyte AORUS Gaming z370 and an 8700k CPU (once again, straight from the Tonymac buyer's guide). Everything else is staying the same.

My question is…will I be able to simply plug my OS drive into the new machine, tweak the BIOS as needed, and go? My Clover settings should translate to the new CPU according to my research. Am I overlooking something important?

Also, by simply plugging in my old drive, will the computer serial # stay the same?

Sure you can try since High Sierra is supposedly compatible with Coffee Lake. I did several motherboard replacements in the past (though not with Z370 and High Sierra) and the MacOS booted directly or maybe need minor adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back