Contribute
Register

Switching i7 7700K With i7 8700K - Simple Swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z390 Aorus Elite-CF
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi folks,

I will keep it short and straight to point. My current build is powered by an i7 7700K, running Mojave. I managed to get my hands on an i7 8700K now, and am wondering if all I need to do is swap the two CPS. Will it work just like that or do I need to follow any specific steps for the same?

Thanks!

As far as I know, 2xx series (7700k) is not compatible with 8700K. So you need to change your motherboard.
On top of that, you will need to adapt audio settings if different, SMBIOS, IGPU settings, network... well everything that has changed.

Hi folks,

I will keep it short and straight to point. My current build is powered by an i7 7700K, running Mojave. I managed to get my hands on an i7 8700K now, and am wondering if all I need to do is swap the two CPS. Will it work just like that or do I need to follow any specific steps for the same?

Thanks!

Your motherboard is not compatible with the i7 8700K, and you will need a 300 series motherboard. I suppose you will want one based on the Z370 or Z390 chipset.

I cloned my MacOS installations (El Capitan / Sierra / High Sierra) onto a blank disk and tried to boot them on a Z390 motherboard with an i7 8700, and all three systems were able to boot. So in effect you should be able to swap the i7 8700K with a compatible motherboard in and your system should be able to boot. You will most probably need to adjust your audio and perhaps LAN settings after such a swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back