Contribute
Register

Switching between OS X and Windows with BT Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. I used Boot Camp Assistant to download the latest bootcamp package for the mac type setup in my Clover SMBIOS (i.e. iMac13,2 in my case). Just DO NOT install on your macOS but onto an external USB (there's a check box for that). It took a long time to download and boot camp assistant puts it onto a USB flash drive (the assistant steps your through process).

2. Boot Windows 10 and insert the boot camp USB flash disk. On the root, out will a folder called $WinPEDriver$ which contains core drivers needed for installing Windows on a Mac. Within that folder find AppleBluetoothBroadcom64 folder which contains the driver installer DPInst.exe for Broadcom bluetooth controller 43XX. Right-click it and Run as Administrator. You will now have the driver for the BT part. There's another BT driver under USB:/BootCamp/Drivers/Broadcom/BroadcomBluetooth64.exe that I tried first but that did not work for me (it did not help Windows recognise the BT adapter).

3. Next, find the drivers for the Apple wireless keyboard and mouse. They are located under USB:/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple (where USB: is the drive-letter of your bootcamp USB stick). They are: AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe, AppleWirelessMouse64.exe and AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller64.exe (if you have a trackpad). I found that you cannot simply right-click each installer and run them but instead you have to use install Bootcamp onto Windows. But it's not that bad as you do not have to install everything. Create a folder on the Windows somewhere (e.g. c:/BC6) and copy BootCamp.msi, AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe, AppleWirelessMouse64.exe and AppleMultiTouchTrackPadInstaller64.exe into it. This way, when you install bootcamp, it only installs what's in the folder using:
Code:
cd c:/BC6
msiexec /i BootCamp.msi

You might see an error/warning of some sort but installation continues.

4. Pairing your Apple devices to BT. If you have NOT paired your kbd and mouse in macOS, then you will be able to pair them in Windows. If they were already paired in macOS, then restart into macOS and unpair your device AND remove them from bluetooth System Preferences (right-click each device in BT preferences & disconnect then remove). Of course you will need alternate kbd & mouse temporarily (wired USB). Now, restart into Windows and you should be able to pair your Apple devices. Once paired, you will notice that Touch Scrolling works on the magic mouse and Volume Up/Down keys will display the volumes graphics on the screen (just like macOS). You can now restart the system into macOS and now add the Apple devices to macOS.

Now I can go between Windows & macOS and Apple devices just work.
Except, I cannot access those devices in the BIOS :(

What's your system and what BIOS version are you using ?

Ill give it ago and see where it gets me. My desk H77N-WIFI.

Im using BIOS F2 from 2012.
Wow. That's quite old one. They have F4 for that board. May be I need to try an older BIOS to see if I can get it to recognise the Apple kbd & mouse on mine.

Wow. That's quite old one. They have F4 for that board. May be I need to try an older BIOS to see if I can get it to recognise the Apple kbd & mouse on mine.

Yep I haven't updated because its not needed. Only need to update if theres problems.

I found a work around for GA-Z77X-UP5.
In the BIOS settings, I set the XHCI Mode = Smart Auto (instead of Enabled).

This allows me to enter the BIOS after restart from macOS but NOT on a restart from Windows 10.
Windows workaround: Shutdown (instead of Restart) and re-power to enter the BIOS and Clover.

Implies that Windows BT driver leaves the BT controller in HCI mode instead resetting it to HID Proxy mode when restarting (which is what macOS seems to be doing).

I found a work around for GA-Z77X-UP5.
In the BIOS settings, I set the XHCI Mode = Smart Auto (instead of Enabled).

This allows me to enter the BIOS after restart from macOS but NOT on a restart from Windows 10.
Windows workaround: Shutdown (instead of Restart) and re-power to enter the BIOS and Clover.

Implies that Windows BT driver leaves the BT controller in HCI mode instead resetting it to HID Proxy mode when restarting (which is what macOS seems to be doing).

For correct USB Configuration XHCI needs to be enabled not Smart Auto.

What are consequences of NOT setting XHCI Mode to enabled ?

Depends. I only have XHCI enable for implementing USB configuration in macOS.

Depends. I only have XHCI enable for implementing USB configuration in macOS.
Not sure what it "depends" on but Smart Auto works fine for me on GA-Z77X-UP5. Sleep/Wake works, USB3 works as SuperSpeed, USB2 ports work, USB3 devices in USB2 ports work and so do USB2 devices in USB3 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back