Contribute
Register

Switched from Radeon HD2400pro to Nvidia 8500GS resolution still same???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS210
CPU
Core2 Duo
Graphics
Radeon
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm doing my first Hackintosh install and whilst things have (eventually) gone very smoothly I still have one outstanding problem. The install is Snow Leopard and I've got it up to 10.6.8 with audio/network/USB3.0 working very smoothly and stable (stunned silence).

The system is the antithesis of most of the systems here. It is a lowly Dell XPS210 micro desktop with a Core2 Duo 1.8ghz processor, 4GB of memory, Radeon HD2400 pro and a 160GB drive. The remarkable part of this story is that I purchased this system for the princely sum of $15 at my local Goodwill. After two full installs, many trips to Multibeast and finally a bunch of research on the net I come to discover that I don't have a snowball in hell's chance of getting the HD2400 to run at anything other than XGA default 1024x768.

I then paid a visit to our PC boneyard and got hold of a Pny Geforce 8500 GT card and swapped out the Radeon. Powered up the system and WTH!! it's still stuck in 1024x768 land. Ok, fire up Multibeast and reload everything as well as select the following;

Easybeast
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission
Realtek ALC8xx
Voodoo 0.2.1
FakeSMC/Nvidia plugin
USB 3.0 NEX/Renesas
Hnak's AppleIntel E1000e

Reloaded the above and rebooted. Still stuck in XGA.

This is my graphics profile.

Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 3 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0422
Revision ID: 0x00a1
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1024 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes

Any ideas?

What am I doing wrong. I haven't played with Mac for a very long time and the reason I'm doing it now is to get to Lion so that I can use the I-Book authoring tool.

BTW this little Dell makes a rocking Mac. It's even silver and white.

I'm doing my first Hackintosh install and whilst things have (eventually) gone very smoothly I still have one outstanding problem. The install is Snow Leopard and I've got it up to 10.6.8 with audio/network/USB3.0 working very smoothly and stable (stunned silence).

The system is the antithesis of most of the systems here. It is a lowly Dell XPS210 micro desktop with a Core2 Duo 1.8ghz processor, 4GB of memory, Radeon HD2400 pro and a 160GB drive. The remarkable part of this story is that I purchased this system for the princely sum of $15 at my local Goodwill. After two full installs, many trips to Multibeast and finally a bunch of research on the net I come to discover that I don't have a snowball in hell's chance of getting the HD2400 to run at anything other than XGA default 1024x768.

I then paid a visit to our PC boneyard and got hold of a Pny Geforce 8500 GT card and swapped out the Radeon. Powered up the system and WTH!! it's still stuck in 1024x768 land. Ok, fire up Multibeast and reload everything as well as select the following;

Easybeast
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission
Realtek ALC8xx
Voodoo 0.2.1
FakeSMC/Nvidia plugin
USB 3.0 NEX/Renesas
Hnak's AppleIntel E1000e

Displays:
Display:

Any ideas?

What am I doing wrong. I haven't played with Mac for a very long time and the reason I'm doing it now is to get to Lion so that I can use the I-Book authoring tool.

I would try downloading MultiBeast 3.7.3 from the download archives. Then run it and select NVEnabler together with System Utilities. That's how I enabled the 9800GT for full graphics support in my older build.

I would try downloading MultiBeast 3.7.3 from the download archives. Then run it and select NVEnabler together with System Utilities. That's how I enabled the 9800GT for full graphics support in my older build.

Jamesbond007 - a question - would he not also need to use / run /install the "tonymacx86 NVIDIA-UPDATE-2.1.0" after the NVEnabler. After a reboot !

Also what the differences between the three versions - any idea!

Paul-Debrione
If you want to download these they are in th DOWNLOAD section under - Archive - Other Archive - tonymacx86-NVIDIA-UPDATE XXX.
you will see three files.

Paul their is a wealth of information on the old site - legacy.tonymacx86.com - and you can search that for prior forum posts regarding your new GFX card etc.

Also Paul it s reported that GFX cards that have two different video connector ends like DVI and VGA have had issues w the VGA port - users have reported that the VGA port is dead and only DVI has Video ....

Tote

Jamesbond007 - a question - would he not also need to use / run /install the "tonymacx86 NVIDIA-UPDATE-2.1.0" after the NVEnabler. After a reboot !

Also what the differences between the three versions - any idea!

Paul-Debrione
If you want to download these they are in th DOWNLOAD section under - Archive - Other Archive - tonymacx86-NVIDIA-UPDATE XXX.
you will see three files.

Paul their is a wealth of information on the old site - legacy.tonymacx86.com - and you can search that for prior forum posts regarding your new GFX card etc.

Also Paul it s reported that GFX cards that have two different video connector ends like DVI and VGA have had issues w the VGA port - users have reported that the VGA port is dead and only DVI has Video ....

Tote

No, I don't have to install other Nvidia drivers myself on my old 775 build.

Easybeast
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission
Realtek ALC8xx
Voodoo 0.2.1
FakeSMC/Nvidia plugin
USB 3.0 NEX/Renesas
Hnak's AppleIntel E1000e

Displays:
Display:

Any ideas?

Paui

I assume that you are using the Apple System Profile utility to get the information you are posting
Under Graphics/Displays column on the right - the right pane should show that information you posted - but I dont see the first line
Chipset Model: XXXXXXXXXXX - this is where it should show the GeForce 8500 GT
Question is this blank or not there .... or was this a miscue on your part.

Here is mine ...

Chipset Model: GeForce 9600 GT
Slot: Slot-1
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Device ID: 0x0622
ROM Revision: 62.94.82.00.50
Displays:
VX2250 SERIES:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: RWS104104066
Rotation: Supported
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1400 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: H9NL601361

Hi to all,

thanks for the suggestions. Here's where I am. There was no indication of the graphics chipset, this maybe is why I am having problems, the OS for what ever reason doesn't recognize the Nvidia card. I did however provide one piece of erroneous information. The card is a Pny Geforce 8400 GT not a 8500 (sound's of 'Oh well that explains everything'). Although I was led to understand that the OS would recognize all 8 series Geforce boards. So I am no further along than before but I've tried a whole bunch of things and done a cold reload three times now.

First time. Reload S-L and run the OSX combo update 10.6.8. Then run Multibeast 3.7.3 The selections were;

Easybeast
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission
Realtek ALC8xx
Voodoo 0.2.1
NVenable
USB 3.0 NEX/Renesas
Hnak's AppleIntel E1000e
32-bit Apple boot screen

Multibeast indicated that the installation had failed and that I was to contact my 'software provider'.

An interesting aside is that the Multibeast instructions indicate that Multibeast is to be opened and then the OSupdate is run and before rebooting Multibeast is to be run and once the M-b process has run one is to continue with the OSupdate reboot. This doesn't happen. I opened M-b, ran the OS update and as soon as I reselected the M-b window and selected Continue, the OS update screen closed with an OS unexpected close error panel. This happened in all the cold reloads.

Once the machine was rebooted, Iboot processed correctly then the Apple greyboot screen then the screen went black. The OS appeared to be working but nothing I could do (I'm a noob remember:) could bring the machine back.

2nd cold reload. Do everything as above but used Multibeast 3.10.1 with the following selections;

Easybeast
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission
Realtek ALC8xx
Voodoo 0.2.1
USB 3.0 NEX/Renesas
Hnak's AppleIntel E1000e
32-bit Apple boot screen

Obviously no NVEnable.

Then loaded Multibeast 3.7.3 and loaded
NVEnable
Rebuild Caches
Repair permission

Reboot.---- Black screen of death.

3rd Cold Reload. All the usual with Multibeast 3.10.1 and no NVEnable.
Reboot. The system is working perfectly at 1024x768 XGA compatibility mode.
Shut down computer and pull out the Nvidia card and replace it with the original ATI card.
Take Nvidia card and hit it with a large hammer.

Ok, here's a simple question. What is the the easiest/inexpensive/low profile card that I can put in this machine that we are fairly sure is going to work in S-L and also Lion since that is my ultimate destination. Any help would be sooo gratefully received..:thumbup:

Hi to all,

thanks for the suggestions. Here's where I am. There was no indication of the graphics chipset, this maybe is why I am having problems, the OS for what ever reason doesn't recognize the Nvidia card. I did however provide one piece of erroneous information. The card is a Pny Geforce 8400 GT not a 8500 (sound's of 'Oh well that explains everything'). Although I was led to understand that the OS would recognize all 8 series Geforce boards. So I am no further along than before but I've tried a whole bunch of things and done a cold reload three times now.

3rd Cold Reload. All the usual with Multibeast 3.10.1 and no NVEnable.
Reboot. The system is working perfectly at 1024x768 XGA compatibility mode.
Shut down computer and pull out the Nvidia card and replace it with the original ATI card.
Take Nvidia card and hit it with a large hammer.

Ok, here's a simple question. What is the the easiest/inexpensive/low profile card that I can put in this machine that we are fairly sure is going to work in S-L and also Lion since that is my ultimate destination. Any help would be sooo gratefully received..:thumbup:

Paul
Well that was very helpfull and just as I suspected that video card.
Other have reported issues w that card-
Here is a link on some ideas you should do before hitting it w a hammer...." Its Hammer Time "

Google this term "Pny Geforce 8400 GT hackintosh"

this is a link for reference hardware for the OSX version your using.
http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Note that buying a card today is not that same as that card was two years ago

this thread makes mention of your card specificly by manufacture and also mentions the port layout to visualize if its your card.And some possible solutions.
http://www.insanlynac.com/forum/topic/147394---PIRATED OS---and-geforce-8400-gs/

TonyMac listing of supported video cards that you may find usefull
http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/wiki/index.php?title=Graphics_Card_Database

See if you can locate and old GFX nVidia 9XXX card but be careful which one some have issues - use Google a lot.

Success!!

I thought I'd post a follow up to this thread and kinda put a cap on it. My little XPS210 is now a Macintosh running Snow Leopard and (almost) everything works!

What did I do?

I Ditched the 8400 card and for the princely sum of $35 I purchased a brand new Geforce 9500 GT. Yes I know it's cheating but I've got plenty of other ways to waste my time and this was getting very frustrating.

Process.

I reloaded the OS from scratch, did the update and then ran MultiBeast 3.10.1. I then ran MultiBeast 3.7.3 and only selected NVEnable and loaded that into the system. I then allowed the MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.8 to reboot the system. System came up fine and boots from HD. The new Nvidia card is working perfectly although I haven't tested the second display. Here is the system info regarding the card.

GeForce 9500 GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 9500 GT
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Device ID: 0x0640
Displays:
VA2012wSERIES:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: PVW055000172

Just as an aside to how far I've pushed this poor little machine, two days ago I came across a derelict HP media station at my local Goodwill. Someone had nicked the memory and one of the hard drives but they had left one drive and the CPU assembly intact. The CPU turned out to be a Core2 Q6600 2.4Ghz Quad and it dropped straight into this tiny desktop (the original was a Core2 1.8Ghz Dual). The drive was a 320GB Sata which is also in this machine. The previous owners had upgraded the PSU on the HP to an 650W Antec but that's going into a different machine. The HP donor machine cost me $26. Airflow is a major consideration in this machine so I cut a hole in a baffle and installed a 40mm fan below the main intake fan to get some more air into the box. The Dell PSU is only 275W but it seems to be holding up Ok (fortunately I live in the Pacific Northwest). I'm pretty certain that the combination of the Nvidia and the CPU if they were both running flat out would overwhelm the PSU but that ain't going to happen. This is going to be used as a graphics machine and usually when Open GL is being used heavily the task is normally single threaded. Just to test I ran a Blender test scene that has 500 frames and usually pegs all the cores. CPU1 got up to 91C momentarily but the cooling fan spun up and all four cores settled down to about 82C for the next two hours. It normally runs at 74-70-69-70C.

So here's what we ended up with.

Dell XPS 210 sub-desktop
4GB 1066 memory
Core2 2.4GHz Q6600 Quad
320 GB Toshiba 7200RPM Sata
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT 1 GB Low profile

Total cost of hardware $96

This is a great little machine that's quick and very handy. Now all I need to do is get the App Store working so I can download Mountain Lion (this is proving difficult).

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.39 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MultiBeast.tonymacx86.com
SMC Version (system): 1.30f3
Serial Number (system): G88451235J4