i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 980
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I currently have a GTX 980 so I've been stuck in High Sierra for quite a while and tired of it.

I went ahead and bought an XFX Radeon RX580 (pic below) today so I can upgrade to Catalina and have a couple questions....

1. Will I have to completely reinstall max OS from scratch to get it to work or should it be generally plug and play with a little tinkering?
2. I currently use 3 monitors and have 2 connected via DisplayPort and 1 connected via HDMI. The new card has 3 DisplayPorts and 1 HDMI and my preference would be to use DP for all three. Can I do this in Catalina?
3. Do you prefer strawberry or grape jelly on your PB&Js?

Thanks in advance
Clintster

I currently have a GTX 980 so I've been stuck in High Sierra for quite a while and tired of it.

I went ahead and bought an XFX Radeon RX580 (pic below) today so I can upgrade to Catalina and have a couple questions....

1. Will I have to completely reinstall max OS from scratch to get it to work or should it be generally plug and play with a little tinkering?
2. I currently use 3 monitors and have 2 connected via DisplayPort and 1 connected via HDMI. The new card has 3 DisplayPorts and 1 HDMI and my preference would be to use DP for all three. Can I do this in Catalina?

Thanks in advance
Clintster

(1) Remove the Nvidia web drivers in High Sierra, remove the Nvidia card and install the RX 580. The card should work in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

(1) Remove the Nvidia web drivers in High Sierra, remove the Nvidia card and install the RX 580. The card should work in MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

Thanks for the help. Just to confirm, I should get it working in 10.13.6 High Sierra BEFORE upgrading to Catalina?

Thanks for the help. Just to confirm, I should get it working in 10.13.6 High Sierra BEFORE upgrading to Catalina?

If your final objective is to go to Catalina and not keep High Sierra, you can directly try to install Catalina with the RX 580. However, is it not better to verify that the card does work in High Sierra before attempting to install Catalina?

Same dilemma, same configs. Didn't buy the RTX though. Would you let us know how it went? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back