Contribute
Register

switch from GTX 1050 to Radeon RX 570 high sierra 10.13.6 (17G65)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra Gaming WIFI - F2 - Clover
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hello,

At the moment, I am not able to login after installing the nvidia web drivers because the keyboard doesn't work anymore. This issue has been posted in several threads here but does not seem easy to fix. It is possible that I need framebuffer injection but that is yet another non-trival process that may, or may not, fix the issue. There are threads here from users with the same motherboard and CPU and a GTX 1060 that got it working without framebuffer injection.

I have an XFX Radeon RX 570 RS Black Edition that I am not using and I am wondering if it makes more sense to just switch to that instead of the GTX. The card is on the list for out-of-the-box support and also on the list of Apple recommended graphics cards. The 570 would be a somewhat better GPU as well.

If so, what is the proceedure for making the switch? It looks like the RX 570 needs RadeonDeInit, but what else would I need to do? Does it make sense to modify my current installation (the working one without the nvidia web drivers installed), or should install the card and do a fresh MacOS install?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

I went ahead and did this since there were not comments. I using my existing 10.13.6 (17G65) installation with the GTX 1050, but the Nvidia web drivers not installed.

I did the following,
-> uncheck Config.plist > Sections > System Parameters > Nvidia Web
-> moved Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext to /EFI/Clover/kext/other
this is likely not necessary but what the user had done in the post I followed
I still have both files in /System/Library/Extensions
-> I never got the web drivers installed so didn't have to remove them
-> shutdown and installed the RX 570.
-> checked the bios to make sure that iGPU was set to Auto

The rig started right up and everything looks fine.

I ran the Heaven benchmark app. It looked fine and finished but there was no report or anything like that. I get a cinebench score of 147.44 FPS. I don't know if that is good or not.

There was no sound while the Heaven benchmark was running. There is a "sound" button at the top of the screen but when I clicked on that, the benchmark quit and returned to the start screen. I don't know it that means there is a sound issue or not. At this point, my sound IO are speakers plugged into the green and pink rear panel motherboard ports, not HDMI or anything like that. My CD player still works. I am using HDMI to connect to my monitor which is running at 1080p.

I have seen in posts that I don't need WhateverGreen. Is this true? If so, should I remove it or is it fine to just leave it?

This may be used for dual monitor at some point, do I need to do anything to get that working?

Is there anything else I need to do?

LMHmedchem

Last edited:
I rechecked all of my connectors to make sure I didn't disturb anything when I installed the card and now the sound works in the Heaven benchmark. I also figured out how to get a score and I got 96.7 FPS and a score of 2431 with quality settings on ultra and tessellation off. It looks worse with tessellation. I guess I am happy with it for a $190 video card. This is about the same price as a 3GB GTX 1060. I don't know if having 8GB is a significant advantage or not.

I would guess that acceleration is working.

My questions from above are still the same, do I need to do anything else or am I all set?

LMHmedchem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back