EVGA GeForce 210
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. LC
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My system drive is full. I cannot update the OS nor can I update any programs. I have bought a new system drive and would like to migrate every thing from the old drive to the new. There seems to be alot of different ideas on the this website on how to do this. What is the definitive way to do this? What method seems to have the most success?

Citydog

My version was the paid one.
Ok,

I did this with the unpaid version. At first it worked great. When I restarted my computer Chimera showed 2 boot drives on the screen. I chose the new drive and hit enter and it booted right up. Couldnt have been happier. I did it again to make sure with the same results so I shut down and removed the old drive and kept only the new. I booted it up and the the computer cannot find the OS. It just sits there and says loading but nothing happens. I tried this a few times with no luck. Oh well I figured I could just remove the new drive and put back the old but no luck. Same thing just sits there and says loading but nothing happens. Now I'm dead in the water. Anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong?

Last edited:
Ok,

I did this with the unpaid version. At first it worked great. When I restarted my computer Chimera showed 2 boot drives on the screen. I chose the new drive and hit enter an it booted right up. Couldnt have been happier. I did it again to make sure with the same results so I shut down and removed the old drive and kept only the new. I booted it up and the the computer cannot find the OS. It just sits there and says loading but nothing happens. I tried this a few times with no luck. Oh well I figured I could just remove the new drive and put back the old but no luck. Same thing just sits there and says loading but nothing happens. Now I'm dead in the water. Anyone have any ideas as to whats wrong?
Did you copy your EFI partition to the new drive?

No. But why when I take out the new drive and put the old one back in the system wont load. I was under the impression that CCC also copied the EFI partition

No. But why when I take out the new drive and put the old one back in the system wont load. I was under the impression that CCC also copied the EFI partition
you have to copy the EFI folder/partition. CCC doesn't do it. When you have both drives in the computer its reading the EFI folder from your old drive which is why it works.

No I can I get out of this mess?
you have to copy the EFI folder/partition. CCC doesn't do it. When you have both drives in the computer its reading the EFI folder from your old drive which is why it works.
I was able to get back up running by getting into the bias and changing which drive is the boot drive. Not sure how that changed. Do I need to clone again or can I just add the EFI partition to the new drive afer the fact.

No I can I get out of this mess?

I was able to get back up running by getting into the bias and changing which drive is the boot drive. Not sure how that changed. Do I need to clone again or can I just add the EFI partition to the new drive afer the fact.
no need to reclone. just add the EFI folder to the EFI partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back