Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Envy 17-u177cl Laptop (Clover)
CPU
i7-7500U
Graphics
Intel HD620/NVIDIA 940MX, 1920x1080
Everything is working well finally on my HP Envy with High Sierra except for one thing...

I always use the caps-lock key as my control key. When I swap caps lock and control using either the Apple keyboard control panel or Karabiner Elements, when I press the caps-lock key (which is now control) it lights up (it has an LED in it) and at that point it locks control on so that every key I press is control modified. And it will not turn off. If I hit the caps-lock key again it does not turn off. LED stays lit and keys are all still control modified.

I have a bad feeling the keyboard controller is managing caps lock and so the OS has no control over this locking behavior.

I am using v1.8.29 of VoodooPS2Controller by RehabMan installed in /CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
-Thanks, Kramer

Everything is working well finally on my HP Envy with High Sierra except for one thing...

I always use the caps-lock key as my control key. When I swap caps lock and control using either the Apple keyboard control panel or Karabiner Elements, when I press the caps-lock key (which is now control) it lights up (it has an LED in it) and at that point it locks control on so that every key I press is control modified. And it will not turn off. If I hit the caps-lock key again it does not turn off. LED stays lit and keys are all still control modified.

I have a bad feeling the keyboard controller is managing caps lock and so the OS has no control over this locking behavior.

I am using v1.8.29 of VoodooPS2Controller by RehabMan installed in /CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?
-Thanks, Kramer

You cannot swap via SysPrefs (due to workaround for capslock bug introduced in Sierra).
But you can do it with ACPI overrides for VoodooPS2 keyboard mapping.

For example:
Code:
// This sample shows how to remap the Left Control to CapsLock,
// and CapsLock to Left Control.
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "ps2", 0)
{
    Name(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K.RMCF, Package()
    {
        "Keyboard", Package()
        {
            "Custom ADB Map", Package()
            {
                Package(){},
                "3a=3b",    // 3a is PS2 for capslock, 3b is ADB for left control (normal map is 3a=39)
                "1d=39",    // 1d is PS2 for left control, 39 is ADB for caps lock (normal map is 1d=3b)
            },
        },
    })
}
//EOF

You will need to verify the ACPI patch of your keyboard device (typically it is _SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, but not always).

You cannot swap via SysPrefs (due to workaround for capslock bug introduced in Sierra).
But you can do it with ACPI overrides for VoodooPS2 keyboard mapping.

For example:
Code:
// This sample shows how to remap the Left Control to CapsLock,
// and CapsLock to Left Control.
DefinitionBlock ("", "SSDT", 2, "hack", "ps2", 0)
{
    Name(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K.RMCF, Package()
    {
        "Keyboard", Package()
        {
            "Custom ADB Map", Package()
            {
                Package(){},
                "3a=3b",    // 3a is PS2 for capslock, 3b is ADB for left control (normal map is 3a=39)
                "1d=39",    // 1d is PS2 for left control, 39 is ADB for caps lock (normal map is 1d=3b)
            },
        },
    })
}
//EOF

You will need to verify the ACPI patch of your keyboard device (typically it is _SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, but not always).

Thanks RehabMan. I was about to implement what you suggested and noticed that Caps-Lock was working as control. What? Then I remembered that I had tried editing the Info.plist in VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and setting the key "Swap capslock and left control" to true last night. It did not seem to work after a reboot. But I was unwisely doing multiple changes at once and must have messed up my testing. So the good news is that an edit to the Info.plist in the great VoodooPS2 fixed my problem! Here is the diff from the stock VoodooPS2 to my swapping version for anyone else who cares to try that:

Code:
*** RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-1130/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist
--- VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist
*** 310,316 ****
  <key>SleepPressTime</key>
  <integer>0</integer>
  <key>Swap capslock and left control</key>
! <false/>
  <key>Swap command and option</key>
  <true/>
  <key>Use ISO layout keyboard</key>
--- 310,316 ----
  <integer>0</integer>
! <true/>
  <true/>

Thanks RehabMan. I was about to implement what you suggested and noticed that Caps-Lock was working as control. What? Then I remembered that I had tried editing the Info.plist in VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext and setting the key "Swap capslock and left control" to true last night. It did not seem to work after a reboot. But I was unwisely doing multiple changes at once and must have messed up my testing. So the good news is that an edit to the Info.plist in the great VoodooPS2 fixed my problem! Here is the diff from the stock VoodooPS2 to my swapping version for anyone else who cares to try that:

Code:
*** RehabMan-Voodoo-2017-1130/VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist
--- VoodooPS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/VoodooPS2Keyboard.kext/Contents/Info.plist
*** 310,316 ****
  <integer>0</integer>
! <false/>
  <true/>
--- 310,316 ----
  <integer>0</integer>
! <true/>
  <true/>

I recommend swapping via the method I posted in #2.
Leave the Info.plist as provided from my bitbucket site.
Doing it with ACPI will make updates of the kext easier for you...

I recommend swapping via the method I posted in #2.
Leave the Info.plist as provided from my bitbucket site.
Doing it with ACPI will make updates of the kext easier for you...
Understood. In the interim I also ended up modifying the FingerZ parameter for the trackpad to try to avoid spurious touches while typing. Might also need to adjust the touch "zones" as well. So it seems I will need to maintain a list of patches to apply when updating these kexts. But I understand your warning. Thanks for your help and all you have done to support the community!

Understood. In the interim I also ended up modifying the FingerZ parameter for the trackpad to try to avoid spurious touches while typing. Might also need to adjust the touch "zones" as well. So it seems I will need to maintain a list of patches to apply when updating these kexts. But I understand your warning. Thanks for your help and all you have done to support the community!

Trackpad settings such as FingerZ can also be changed via ACPI/SSDT.
(anything in IOKitPersonalities/Info.plist can be changed via ACPI/SSDT/RMCF)

See examples in my github projects.

Could I get some more details on the ACPI override solution? I tried it (as far as I can tell what I was supposed to do), but it didn't work. I put the text into a .dsl file, and compiled it with:
~/Library/ssdtPRGen/Tools/iasl -vw 2095 -vw 2146 -vw 2089 -vw 4089 -vi -vr -pSSDT-NO-CAPSLOCK.aml SSDT-NO-CAPSLOCK.dsl
And put it into the CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory, but it had no effect. I tried some slightly different syntax too based on stuff I saw elsewhere but that didn't help either:

Code:
    External(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, DeviceObj)
    Scope (_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K)
    {
        Name(RMCF, Package()

Was this the right thing or are there additional steps. And how do I verify the ACPI path of the keyboard device. I rummaged through the ioreg output and didn't come up with anything helpful there.

tom

Could I get some more details on the ACPI override solution? I tried it (as far as I can tell what I was supposed to do), but it didn't work. I put the text into a .dsl file, and compiled it with:
~/Library/ssdtPRGen/Tools/iasl -vw 2095 -vw 2146 -vw 2089 -vw 4089 -vi -vr -pSSDT-NO-CAPSLOCK.aml SSDT-NO-CAPSLOCK.dsl
And put it into the CLOVER/ACPI/patched directory, but it had no effect. I tried some slightly different syntax too based on stuff I saw elsewhere but that didn't help either:

Code:
    External(_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K, DeviceObj)
    Scope (_SB.PCI0.LPCB.PS2K)
    {
        Name(RMCF, Package()

Was this the right thing or are there additional steps. And how do I verify the ACPI path of the keyboard device. I rummaged through the ioreg output and didn't come up with anything helpful there.

tom

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

it's look complicated do you have other way to make it work because i am a new hackintosh so i don't understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back