Contribute
Register

SuSu Dual EFI boot "how to" for experienced hackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z97XM-GAMING 5
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is a very general record of a success dual boot install of EFI version SuSe Linux "Leap 42.1" on a GA-z97mx-Gaming 5 with stable EFI (only) Clover/Yosemite 10.10.5 equipped with a SSD root and separate HDD /Users. I simply added a dedicated Linux EFI disk to the computer.

Susu has Firefox, LibreOffice and several other apps pre-installed. YAST2 is a setup and maintenance program for all functions, like printers, adding disks, manage users, etc. Suse is the oldest Linux distro and now very mature. I used it since Slackware and v1.0 SuSe. I switched to OS X Hackintosh in 2012. My old SuSe 12.1 Linux box can still run as reserve server.

I had this old OS X formatted 640gb drive laying around and thought to install the latest SuSe Leap 42.1 on it. It turned out to be almost a no brainer install. Try it!

I assume you will have prior partition setup experience and are not afraid to discover how a new setup interface works. It is non-destructive up to the commit waring and can be tried over and over if it is not correct. It may take a couple of abort and install tries until you have it all under control. Took me about 5 tries to learn how it worked and to get it setup properly.

1) Prepare a 8mg USB stick by downloading from Suse the OS distro. This was all very easy and automatic by following the instructions. The USB stick will boot either BIOS or UFI, so if your computer already setup Clover EFI only, the Suse install will go EFI.

2) Unplug computer and then unplug all drives except the target drive. Boot into BIOS setup and delete OS X boot choices, leaving only Susu USB and the target empty drive. No other BIOS settings need not be changed.

3)Shut down and boot again to BOIS screen, and delete non-existant OS X volumes and set the USB stick as first boot and target drive as second boot. reboot and proceed with standard install screens until you get to the disk partitions.

We have now arrived at the first tricky part. It will list the OSX volumes on the target drive and the Suse USB partitions. However, the target partition creattion list for install are on the USB! This is not what should happen.

4) Write down the /boot/efi, the / and swap names, then highlight and delete these USB recommended partitions. Next delete the partitions on the former Mac drive by highlighting and deleting. Then recreate a 1 table, 32bit FAT partition of 200mb and call it /boot/EFI name you have written down. This is started by highlighting the target drive and right mouse click to create partition.

5) Repeat creating second partition, this time called SWAP for 1/2 the RAM you have installed or 2GB minimum.

6) Next create the / partition of 60GB. I used EXT4 for file type.

7) Last create /Users partition of the remainder of the disk. Again I chose EXT4 to keep things simple.

If this looks good, i.e. 4 partitions, FAT /boot/EFI, SWAP, / and /Users on the target drive, then just hit next and proceed with the setup. I did check to download repository updates along the way. Saves potential troubles later. You can use KDE or Gnome interface, read up on them to choose. (I use Gnome, most people choose the more Windows like KDE). Eventually, you will get to a screen with a warning that you are about to create partitions, destroying any existing ones on the target drive. This is exactly what we want.

Here, my install gave repeated warnings. I simply cold booted again. The USB stick came up, I went through the install and the partition setup I had done earlier was still alive, so I did nothing but run through the setup screens blindly, other than check the box for download repository updates again and choose my interface. This time it began about a 20 minute install, and went through to the end. I rebooted once it was done and it came up SuSe Linux.

8) Shut down, turn-off PS and disconnect the mains cable. Re-plugin all your OS X drives. Boot into BIOS screen and enter your UEFI boot, MAC OS, and the SuSe boot choices in that order.

9) Reboot and Clover will now show the SuSe, OS X and the OS X repair as boot choices. How simple is that?

One problem I had with SuSE Leap was that it wanted to install the bootloader on sda0 even though I had indicated that I wanted it on a different drive. I stopped the installation at that point. Obviously you worked around that by initially disconnecting the OSX drive. I suspect that the SuSE EFI partition isn't actually being accessed, though (since the old OSX drive was GPT formatted SuSE probably created a BIOS-GRUB partition on that drive), as most dual EFI partitions on separate drives tend to confuse UEFI since its settings are now part of the BIOS. I therefore find steps 2 and 3 fascinating and something I will probably play with in the future. Thanks for the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back