Contribute
Register

AppleHDA Surround Sound [Guide]

I know this is a realtek thread but its surround realated

I have older boards, XBX, XBX2, and a DX58so

the XBX boards are STAC I believe, not sure on the DX board.

on the XBX

I have tried Voodoo without success in getting DTS passthrough on Optical. If I select encoded digital audio the computer locks up.

I can get regular 2 channel sound and even surround but no sub/lfe channel

What are the correct methods, if any, to get these boards working properly!!

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks toleda.. so you are saying that likely not going to find a solution for the XBX series boards.. as I have googled STAC Yosemite to death to no avail.

I have been running USL ,buildsmarts Ultimate Snow Leopard solution and 10.6.8 on the XBX and DX58 systems for years and its a real slick hack, but I cant figure out how he does it. I think he dynamically patches the dsdt at boot, and the USL control panel has provisions to enable auto audio so he is patching it probably on the dynamic dsdt.

So you are saying that I will be limited to a USB sound card on the XBX and DX58 systems if I want to upgrade to 10.10?

So you are saying that I will be limited to a USB sound card on the XBX and DX58 systems if I want to upgrade to 10.10?
Other forums have working SLAC. DX58SO uses 889, fully supported in MultiBeat. Original request was SPDIF support, available with USB for unsupported codecs.

have not tried the DX58 board yet.. still running 10.6.8 USL on that board as its my primary production workstation.

I have yet to find anyone or any board that has optical SPDIF passthrough working natively on the XBX or XBX2 for yosemite.

with my current configuration on the XBX and XBX2 with USL, I can play DTS or Dolby Digital and it optically passes to the receiver without issue and without having to change settings in midi setup. its automatic. when using plex, it automatically works regardless of audio.. 2 channel, 5 channel DTS whatever.. it works.

I would love to get yosemite working as well but have yet to find a site, program or boot loader that can do it.

so you are saying that the only way to get optical to pass encoded digital is to go USB?

hi toleda.
everything working here with plex and xbmc thanks to your guides.
the issue is i can't play surround sound with vlc (it works as 2.1) and with mplayerx (noise sound when i chose the 5.1 audio track)

i'm using optical out
i'm using mp4 movies with ac3 5.1 audio track.

maybe a software issue?
i used your raccomended settings for latest version of mplayerx, while i'm using vlc settings to default

See Post #1.

From post 1:

Optical 5.1 (48k Hz/2ch-16bit integer)
Plex_v0.9.3.4 - Yes/DD D/DTS
PlexHT_v1.0.7 - No (Video problem - pause/play)
PlexHT_v1.0.13 - Yes/DD D/DTS
XBMC_v12.3 - No (Video problem - 0.5x)
XBMC_v13.0 - Yes/DD D/DTS (Enable Passthrough) Yes/DD PL II/LPCM (DD/DTS)
VLC_v2.1.4 - Yes/DD PL II/LPCM (DD/DTS)
MPlayerX_v1.0.22.1 - Yes/DD D/DTS (Preferences/Audio/Pass through AC3=Yes/DTS=Yes)
iTunes/QuickTime/DVDPlayer - No (885 yes)

So, Why vlc and mplayerx doesn't work for me?

Why vlc and mplayerx doesn't work for me?
Read the specs
VLC_v2.1.4 - Yes/DD PL II/LPCM (DD/DTS) means stereo.
MPlayerX_v1.0.22.1 - Yes/DD D/DTS (Preferences/Audio/Pass through AC3=Yes/DTS=Yes) means specific Preference settings.
Did you miss Post #1/Recommendations?

Back